1891 Wales Census help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 Wales Census help please

I am a wondering if some pages of the 1891 Wales census for Cardiff are missing from Ancestry. Is it possible they may be on FMP?

The families I am looking for are:

Richard Barry, b.c 1835, General Labourer, born Ireland
    Bridget Barry, b.c.1836, born Ireland

Children I expect to be with them are
    Johanna Barry b.c.1867 Cardiff
    William Barry b. 1873 Cardiff

Between 1881 and 1891, many of their other children married and I cannot find them either.

One of their daughters, Mary Ann, married Beneditto Gargaro in 1885. I cannot find this family in 1891 either. Bearing in mind that they all seemed to live either in the same house, or within a few doors of each other, the fact I can find no one indicates there might be pages missing. Mary Ann had the following children by 1891:
    Rosina Gargaro b. 1886 Cardiff
    Joseph Gargaro b. 1888 14 Godfrey St, Cardiff
    Mary Gargaro b. 1890 14 Godfrey St, Cardiff
    Samuel Gargaro b. 1892 14 Godfrey St, Cardiff (after the census but still the same address)

Godfrey St was in the St Mary’s district of Cardiff. I have searched through the districts on Ancestry and finally found the pages for some of Godfrey St. Unfortunately, the one that has numbers 11, 12 and possibly 13, is torn and that seems to be the end of them –I cannot find anything for 14 Godfrey St. For those who might be able to help, the source citation for the torn page with numbers 11 and 12 is: Class: RG12; Piece: 4393; Folio 128; Page 96; This seems to be the end of that district. Is it possibly on FMP?

Hope I haven't waffled too much but would dearly like to trace this lot.

Well the BARRYs are certainly evasive.

Using page 97, and trying folios both 128 and 129, you get no results on FMP, even with a blank set of other data.

Folio 128 covers pp 95/96. Folio 129 gets nothing.

It may be worth trying the local FHS, or the local Records/Archives Office. They sometimes have access to the local notes or other materials which help to bridge such a gap.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-10-09, 16:27.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for that Christine. I will follow up your suggestion next week.

Comment

Working...
      X