No announcement yet.

Anyone up for an 1851 challenge please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for an 1851 challenge please?

I have tried in the past to find this family in 1851 and/or 1841 without success and have been trying again the last few days but I wondered if anyone else would mind having a go please. I would particularly like to find them as the wife/mother (lignivitre Heaps) died on the 13th June 1860 of Smallpox aged 55 and I would dearly love to see her on a census as she was my Gt Gt Grandmother. It might also help me to track down her birth/parentage as she is such a mystery. The difficulty is knowing where they might be as they appear to be 'travellers', but seemed to be mostly in Derbyshire.

William Heaps married Lignavitre (something unreadable) on 19th Jan 1829 at Snelston Parish Church.
    1835 - 17th April Nicholas Heaps was baptised at Baslow Derbyshire – abode given as Snelston.
    1840 – 3rd May – George Heaps is baptised at Corringham – Lincolnshire
    1846 ish – My Grandmother Millicent Heaps is born – where?
    1850 – 14th April – Eliza Heaps is baptised in the Parish of Whitwell, Derbyshire – abode Snelston Peake Derbyshire.
    1860 – 13th June - Lignivitre Heaps dies aged 55 of small pox. Informant is Mary Ottowell who was in attendance in Heage.

William’s occupation is usually given as Chair Bottomer – Chair repairer etc.

I have my grandmother Millicent in all census from 1861 and with her father William in 1861 and 1871. Why can’t I find any of them in 1851?

1861 - Class: RG9; Piece: 2436; Folio: 67; Page: 21; GSU roll: 542970 – Millicent is mistranscribed as Millicent Heafes age 15 bc1846 – with father William 56 and presumably her siblings – They have been transcribed (HEAPS) as Eliza 20 George 20 and William 17 – though the ages are difficult to actually make out. They are living with the Quintano family in Ilkeston – Notts

1871 - Class: RG10; Piece: 3606; Folio: 23; Page: 39; GSU – Millicent Heaps (now saying 23 bc1848) is living in Clay Cross Derbyshire with a William Bonsall aged 41 (who she marries in 1873, shortly before his death) also living there are her father William Heaps (now saying 60) and what I believe to be her two daughters with William – Lignum Vita (transcribed as Agnes Vita) 4 and Hannah 11 months.

Birth ref of Lignum V Bonsall is – April-June 1866 Chesterfield 7b 505 and Hannah Bonsall – April-June 1870 Chesterfild 7b 517.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 27-09-10, 09:42.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

I can't find any of your lot anywhere.

But there's a funny lot I picked up on the 1851.

Class: HO107; Piece: 2122; Folio: 292; Page: 35

None of them knew where they were born they could be part of the Heaps extended family.

Comment

The IGI shows William Heap married Liquonite Reuel at Snelston 19 Jan 1829..
      But I have not found a coresponding birth for that name

Comment

Thanks Maggie, I'll have a look at them :smilee: p.s. What name have they been transcribed under please?

That's actually very helpful Colin - thank you :smilee: I have a copy of their marriage that I printed out at the Matlock records office but I could never quite decide what her surname was. Though Reuel did look to be one possibility. I really don't know where to look next and I can't even find a likely birth for my Gt Grandmother Millicent Heaps. She always quotes Leighton as her birth place but sometimes in Notts, sometimes Derbys and sometimes Yorkshire :conf:
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-10-09, 16:39.

Comment

p.p.s. Sorry Maggie - found them under Heaps :Big Grin:

Comment

I wonder if Cinamat is a sister of William? I'm sure I found a reference for Millicent or William under Worksop once. I can't remember where though.

Comment

Do you think it says Cinimat though I thought it looked more like beamont but even thats a bit of a guess.

The fact that none of them seems to know where they are born maybe because you mentioned travellers!

Comment

Originally posted by colin taylor View Post
                The IGI shows William Heap married Liquonite Reuel at Snelston 19 Jan 1829..
                But I have not found a coresponding birth for that name
                I've gone with Lignivitre because that's what it said on her death cert. Also, I imagine my gt grandmother named her daughter Lugnum Vita after her :roll-eyes:

Comment

Thats a strange name the only thing that comes close is Lignum Vitae - Wood of Life I think its a plant. I think it has been used in herbal medicine.

Comment

Yes Maggie - we googled and found that when I was looking before. Maybe they didn't realise what it was then :Big Grin:

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      Yes Maggie - we googled and found that when I was looking before. Maybe they didn't realise what it was then :Big Grin:
                      Or they were travellers and into herbal medicine and also if they were travellers they would have always been poaching or hunting rabbits in the woods surely. They definitely would have known the latin names for trees and plants. :smilee:

Comment

Lignum Vitae is an extremely hard and non-porous wood.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Nudged for Julie and for a PM I received :smilee:

Comment

so, is william that marries hannah and lives in Heage.. is this millicents brother? I see he was born in 1843 Whitwell, derbys. (just that you havent added him in your header post)
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

1861 William Lodging with the quintano family

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1861&indiv=1

1871 William Heaps and when you look at image on next page/next door is Nicholas Heaps

1881 cens william/hannah Heaps & family.

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk

1901 Hannah is living still in Heage (as widow) with the two youngest boys, she is a nurse but away on census night.

Last edited by Darksecretz; 28-10-09, 11:31.
                              Julie

Comment

Do you mean William Bonsall? Millicent married him shortly before he died in 1974 (I think it was).

Sorry - got to dash.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                  Do you mean William Bonsall? Millicent married him shortly before he died in 1974 (I think it was).

Sorry - got to dash.
                                  nope I mean William Heaps.. b.1843 whitwell derbys. married a hannah ? she was from heage.. I will add their details, I think that they are part of your family.
                                  Julie

Comment

Thank you so much Julie :smilee: I have just been looking at all those census pages. I had got the 1871 with Millicent on but not the others. I'm not sure about that one in 1901 as, when you look at the next page there is another Hannah Heaps Widow that looks a possibility. Probably all connected though. Just thought, didn't Nicholas marry a Hannah as well.

My heads in a spin - I need to sort it all out :Big Grin:

I still haven't found Lignavitre and family in 1851 - all suggestions gratefully received :Big Grin:

Comment

Hi Chrissie

Here's your Millicent's baptism on the IGI :

MILLY TRANAUNT HEAPS

28 JUN 1846 Laughton En Le Morthen, Yorkshire, England

Parents William Heaps & Lisna Vila Heaps

:smilee:

Joanie

Comment

Oh you angel - thank you - that's another doughnut for you :Big Grin:
                                        So this time mother is Lisna Vila :Big Grin: Wish she had been named Mary :Big Grin:
                                        p.s. Do you think TRANAUNT is a second name or what ?????????????/

Comment

Working...
                                        X