Parish records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parish records

I'm currently researching william hughes born 8th july 1841 registration district of Corwen sub-district Gwyddelwern in the counties of Merioneth and Denbigh. He was born in a village but i cant make out the name of it ( i have a pic of the writing if anyone wants a look?)

His parents are Samuel Hughes, a publican, and mother Margaret hughes nee jones.

i have found two possible marriages on freebmd but would like either samuel or maragerts birth to confirm ( i would know by their fathers names then)

Obviously they were born before 1841 so they wouldnt have been registered, but im asuming they would be in parish records?

are these records available online or do you have to go to the parish?
    and how would you find out which parish?

Thank you

Originally posted by scorpioleah View Post

i have found two possible marriages on freebmd but would like either samuel or maragerts birth to confirm ( i would know by their fathers names then)
    The best way of ensuring you have the right marriage certificate is to get the birth certificate of one of their children, which would then give you mother's maiden name. Samuel or Margaret's baptism record isn't going to help you get the correct marriage certificate.
    Elaine

Comment

i have their sons birth certificate

margarets maiden name is jones

but i found two samuel hughes and margaret jones marriages between 1837 - 1845
      so it could be one of those or one from before 1837

thats why i thought if i knew margaret or samuel's fathers name i can then match it to their marriage certificate so i know its the right one?

Comment

Parish records are kept at the relevant county records office, often on microfiche. You can also order microfilm of parish records at your nearest LDS family history centre - find yours on FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

Some records are online at FreeREG - Search UK Parish Register Indices - and there are also snippets of other parish records online, try googling the parish name and "registers". Check before searching that the parish(es) and dates you want are covered.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

if anyone has ancestry could you look up samuel hughes and margaret in the 1841 and/or 1851 census

their son was born 1841 so it would have to be a guess of year of birth but if you put 10+- maybe it will come up. They should be somewhere up north wales

thats the only info i have thus far

be give me an idea if they say where they were born

would be gratefull, thanks

Comment

I've tried quite a lot of tricks on 1841 without any joy, I'm afraid.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

ok thanks anyway Christine

you didnt happen to check 1851

i think im going to have to register back up next month

Comment

I had a bit of a look, but without success there either. There are a number of vaguely possible names - but too many for me to trawl through on the offchance of finding a mistranscription.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks for having a look though, i'll have a search when i sign back up

can i just ask did you look in just the wales census? i may have a look at the england one aswell as that may be possible

Comment

I expanded to look in England for at least some searches - but I'd reckon you'd be better off starting from scratch. It's always possible that, in the intervening time, someone will have spotted a catastrophic mistranscription and put in a correction.

Christine

Comment

thanks christine

just signed back up so going to have a look

Comment

I couldnt find any william with parents Samuel/Margaret on the 51 cens though I did find, which seem very possible a 1851 cens, with a Margaret and son William and daughter Jane

- Ancestry.co.uk
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

He was born in a village but i cant make out the name of it ( i have a pic of the writing if anyone wants a look?)

Why don't you post this on here & see if anyone can recognise the name of the village.
                          Moggie

Comment

nope... scrap that.. tisnt them
                            Julie

Comment

just took that quick using my webcam but i can get a better pic by scanning it in the next hour

Comment

it says 'Bettws Village' parish of Bettws

Genuki say that it is in Glamorgan...

Last edited by Darksecretz; 31-10-09, 15:13.
                                Julie

Comment

Does it give the same address for the informant i.e Mum or Dad?
                                  Moggie

Comment

I think I may have found them in 1841 parish of Bettws Merionethshire.

Samuel Hughes age 40 Farmer but the address looks like Hand Inn
                                    Margaret Hughes age 32
                                    John Hughes age 1
                                    Piece 1428; Book 1 District: 9/ Folio 8/Page 9/ Line12

Moggie

Comment

There's a Margaret Hughes age 38, widow at the Hand Inn in 1851 but John & William are not with her, perhaps they were at school somewhere.
                                      Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                        Does it give the same address for the informant i.e Mum or Dad?
                                        Moggie
                                        yes it does

in the informent section it also says samuel hughes was a publican

no wonder i couldnt find them, i thought they would be in north wales as the certificate was regisitered in gwyddelwern which is north wales area

thanks

edit: Bettws Merionethshire is north wales not far from corwen
                                        Last edited by scorpioleah; 31-10-09, 16:39.

Comment

Working...
                                        X