This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDWTYA Announcement/plea

We are struggling to find anyone to take part in this anymore and don't even have anyone for this week. If you would like to take part this week then please let me know and i will add the first person to reply to me to be the winner for this week.

If we are unable to get more people to put their names forward then we will have to call time on this which would be a shame as it has been running since 2006.

If you have any other ideas for anything else which you think would help people with their trees or replace WDWTYA then please let us know.
    Jen

It could be that people don't like to put their name forward more than once. There are still plenty of appeals for help in the forum, one of them could be moved to WDWTYA ?

Comment

Jennie I have an ancester Ambrose Stokes whom I have received help before via this forum but don't know if anyone else can help further.

I know that his DOB is 21/11/1845 in Brentford and his death is 23/4/1887 in Brentford. His father was Samuel Stokes and mother was Sarah Nixon. I have him on board HMS Icarus on the 1861 census aged 15 as a boy 2nd class. I also have him on the 1871 and 1881 censuses.

I wondered if anyone could find him on the 1851 census cannot find him at all. Also wondered if there would be any way to find navy records that far back. He looks like he joined the navy then became a Waterman and some forum users have managed to find his apprenticeship date when he began training as a waterman.

I know very little on his parents as Samuel is a common name whereas Ambrose is more ny help on his parents would also be great.

Basically any more information on Ambrose, his career, census information and also help with Samuel or Sarah.

Many thanks

Steven

Comment

Steven I have searched since you last posted on Ancestry under everything I could think of but no luck so far
        Just so you know that people are searching for you

Edna

Comment

A person called Mary on Genes Reunited has Ambrose born 1845 in her tree are you in contact with her yet or do you want me to make contact for you and direct her here.

Edna

Comment

I just found the other thread now at page 3 sorry I wasted all that time by not realising the thread continued elsewhere

Edna

Comment

I have run out of brickwalls to ask about, I have received some good help over the two or three times that I won WDYTYA. It would be a shame if everyone has either no more brickwalls, or just have ones left that are truly impossible to solve.

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Sorry Edna I hadn't realised that you left information on this thread and just wanted to say thanks. Haven't been on genes reunited. I was contacted a few months ago by someone who shared a common ancestor through Ambrose so this may be her and she was able to give me a little more information.

Steven

Comment

Hi Jennie
                  I wonder if people are like me and have brick walls but don't know how much information you need for the challenge. For instance, I have one that I can't find before 1861 but I have after that. Don't you need an early and late ancestor though that you all try to tie together?
                  Sorry - ignore me - I was thinking of that game you used to play where you link up two ancestors OOps
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie

I think your Heaps are deserving of WDWTYA I really do. Put your name down.

Comment

I would love to have my name added, but right now cant be sure how often I will get on line
                      www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
                      http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

I too thought it would be a bit cheeky to put myself forward again after being picked very soon after I joined.

I've done a whole lot more with the help I got but some of the brickwalls are the same as before. Not much to put on for folks that's fresh. I think I mostly need Record Office visits now.

Also one half of my research is Scottish and you can't get subs to ScotlandsPeople.

I hope this feature keeps going because it's invaluable. If once a week is too much, how about having a draw fortnightly or even monthly?

If I think of anything soon, I'll enter again.

Comment

PLease don't feel cheeky if you have already been picked i know i won quite a few times and although mine were smaller problems like missing someone on certain census people always helped me.
                          Chrissie you used to play the gen game as well lol.
                          Jen

Comment

Why don't you pick someone who posts a query on a friday or something like that?
                            I have been picked in the past and found it invaluable - I had lots to work on and still need time to do that..... Thanks for this feature don't let it disappear cos that would be a real shame. I love it that you all help so much.
                            Ros

Comment

Okay ! I have a mystery family that I could do with some help over..if no-one else comes forward can I request your time & help pretty please ????

Margaret
                              Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Comment

Hi Margaret we have had a few requests would you like to put your name on the November thread and you will be included into the draw.
                                THankyou everyone for your interest in keeping this game going.
                                Jen

Comment

If we are allowed to enter more than once then i could put up a different brickwall lol .
                                  I have several since my last requests.

Peter

Comment

I'd love to do it but a) feel cheeky as only a very occasional poster b) I have so many avenues with problems that I wouldn't know where to start and c) I can rarely predict when I'm going to have the time to spend on research and it would be awful to be picked and then unable to make use of it

Comment

Hi Jennie
                                      I keep getting emails about WDWTYA but being relatively new here I haven't a clue what it is.
                                      Can you please enlighten this ageing ignoramus?
                                      Many thanks
                                      Grahame

Comment

Originally posted by notanotherminer View Post
                                        Hi Jennie
                                        I keep getting emails about WDWTYA but being relatively new here I haven't a clue what it is.
                                        Can you please enlighten this ageing ignoramus?
                                        Many thanks
                                        Grahame
                                        hello Grahame,

if you click on the link below, it will tell you all about Family Tree Forums WDWTYA

Julie
                                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                        X