William Horace Clifford Goulding and Vera Pauline Shalders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Horace Clifford Goulding and Vera Pauline Shalders

Hi, I'm looking for information about my great grandfather William Horace Clifford Goulding, and cannot find any details of his parents. He was born 1882 in NZ and married Vera Pauline Shalders. I've found info on Vera, but nothing on William.

Any info would be great!
    Thanks!

Hi - there are some Goulding's in the NZ Archives -
    Archives New Zealand | Archway
    Do you know where William was born in NZ? I had a quick look at
    The Department of Internal Affairs: Births Deaths and Marriages - Finding Family History Records
    Is that where you found his marriage and details about Vera?
    Do you have his burial info? Is he buried with Vera?
    There are William's in this site as well as others with the surname

I just saw this from you on the other topic -
    "I notice you had a William, and a Horace Goulding.... I heard my GGrandfather was nicknamed Horace... I wonder if they are the same people?
    I have 2 documents showing his DOB, one says 1882, the other 1883, however I can't find his birth in the NZ birth/death/marriage list. I found Vera's and it corresponds to the name William Horace Clifford Goulding, but there is nothing else anywhere saying when he died, or any other DOB or other names....".....what are the documents that you have? Do they give addresses?
    Anything that would hold any clues? Have you applied for their marriage cert? That should tell you the name of his father. Sounds like he might not have been born in NZ.
    Last edited by naomiatt; 24-10-09, 10:03.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the info!

I looked up BDM Historical and he wasn't listed under births or deaths, however his marriage was listed.

From Ancestory.com I found him and he was apparently born 1882 in Otago NZ, however another piece if paper I have (from a random person somewhere along the line), said he was born in 1883. All I know is that they were married in 1910 in Oamaru NZ.

I might have to request his marriage certificate so I can get more details about his parents.

I have no idea when he died, or where he was buried.

It's a mystery!

Comment

Hi - might be something in this Wellington New Zealand Genealogy Index of BDM or BMD Notices for Wellington, New Zealand
        and Otago, NZ Genealogy Links - geneology and
        DFHG: Cemeteries
        Do you know where Vera is buried?...or where they last lived?
        Other than that, yes, marriage cert would be the way to go and give you something more to work with.
        Be interested to hear what it says.
        Saw that he was known as Horace...but maybe he's recorded under Bill, Will, etc
        Last edited by naomiatt; 25-10-09, 06:28.

Comment

Yes I found Vera's cemetery plot, but William wasn't there.

I've looked up Bill, not Will though.

Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by MoonShine09 View Post
            Yes I found Vera's cemetery plot, but William wasn't there.

I've looked up Bill, not Will though.

Thanks for the info
            Not a prob. Do you think they might have separated? Have you looked to see if he re-married?

Also, have you asked the cemetery who arranged Vera's funeral?
            That might give some leads.

Comment

From Ancestory.com I found him and he was apparently born 1882 in Otago NZ, however another piece if paper I have (from a random person somewhere along the line), said he was born in 1883.
              That sort of discrepancy sounds like a YoB calculated from age-given (census? marriage cert?, death cert?, military attestation?). For example, with the UK censuses, which (from 1851) were conducted ca 31 March of the given year:
              You give your age-at-last-birthday. If your DoB fell in April - December, you wouldn't have reached your birthday for that year, so you'd seem to have been born a year later than actual. If your birthday were in January - March, then you would have passed your birthday and the arithmetic would give the correct year. The 1841 census, being conducted ca 30 June (I haven't checked that, but accuracy isn't really material for the point being made), meant that anyone born Jan - Jun got the right year (subject to the 5-year roundings!), and people born July - December got to seem a year younger than actual.

Incidentally, by combining these cut-offs (census, marriage, etc) you can sometimes narrow down a DoB quite a lot... subject to the degree of reliability of the records, of course.

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 27-10-09, 09:18.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I may possibly have found him. Contacted a distant relative who has some details, so hoping that will clear up a few more things. Seems his last name has been spelt Goulding, Golden, Golding and Gulden so that might have been why he seems to have disappeared and his birth and death records arent around. He was also called William, and sometimes Horace... so confusing, my great granddad :P

Comment

Christine, great thinking!!!! Could be a reason for the strange DOB too

Comment

Working...
                  X