Problems registering FTM2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems registering FTM2010

Hello, and thank you for reading my post.
    Since I've received my Family Tree Maker 2010 Platinum some 10 days ago, I've been unable to register it with Ancestry. Therefore I can't search or activate my free 6 months search as promised.

After sending 3 emails to Ancestry, I've received only 1 reply (1 week later)which thanked me for the email but ignored my questions. I've rang Ancestry (Aus) but am told this is a technical problem, not support.

After searching the web, I've checked that my computer clock and time is correct, also checked that the proxy window was not ticked.

Please, could someone be kind enought o help me. I've never used FTM prior to this, but am seriously thinking of returnng it to the supplier.
    Many thanks for any help.
    pambolger888

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Can you tell me what exactly happens when you try to register - do you get a specific error message?
    Which virus protection package are you using? (It is sometimes necessary to disable the virus protection during registration!)
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Thanks so very much for your reply.

McAfee which came already installed on my laptop, also using Norton 360.

I am using a new Acer Aspire 5536 laptop Vista - usually use Internet Explorer to search, otherwise, Google.

Initially I had great difficulty installing FTM - on the first effort I got just past entering my details, then it would 'stop responding.'
      Subsequent attempts did not show the window for my details to register - but every time I tried to access FTM registration I got the error message "Authentication with your server failed" (or very similar words)
      After reading up on the web the meaning of this, finally got rid of the error message by making a change in my computer 'registry' - by adding Ancestry.com to it.

Since then have been attempting to follow Ancestry instructions of registering by going to Ancestry.com and clicking on 'help' - where the welcome window is supposed to open so registration can take place -(can't see the welcome window anywhere, or any links where to register.
      I've rung Ancestry in Australia, where a very helpful girl said it was a technical problem and she could not help.
      Explained that I'd sent off two email to 'support,' with one response thanking me for my email, but ignoring my questions.
      She very kindly typed up a detailed email on my behalf to Ancestry support, (last Thursday) and I'm now awaiting a reply from them.
      I apologise for being so long winded with this problem, (if you are still reading this and have not fallen asleep through sheer boredom.)
      Also, my cousin in England has sent me some of our ancestors in an FTB file, (he is using an earlier version of FTM) so far have been unable to open this in my FTM. What am I doing wrong? I'm sure there is a simple explanation.
      Hope you are having a lovely day, despite this debacle.

Many thanks.

Pam
      Last edited by Guest; 25-10-09, 04:07.

Comment

Well, you certainly seem to have tried all sorts of things.

The first thing I would say, and nothing to do with FTM, is that it is not advisable to have two antivirus programs running on your computer at the same time as there will be conflict between the two. Decide which one you want and disable or delete the other.

There were certainly problems in the past that when registering FTM it was sometimes necessary to disable the antivirus program, particularly for those people using Norton. If you feel confident enough to do it can I suggest that you disable both AV programs and try the registration process again. Obviously re-enable one of the AV programs after trying to register.

If that doesn't work then my next suggestion would be to put a query on the FTM online help forum. If you click on the following link and scroll down the page you will see a list of FTM forums - probably the best one for you would be Family Tree Maker: Installation, but it might be worth just having a quick look through some of the others to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.
        Genforums

There is a resident 'expert' on the FTM forums - Russ Worthington - and he normally responds to any query within 24 hours - he's in America so I hope his response times fits in with Aussie time without too much difficulty. He is usually very helpful indeed (I've used him many times in the past) and he will talk you through each step.

Other than that I don't know what to suggest! Let us know how you get on and whether you are able to resolve the problem.
        Elaine

Comment

Re Unable to register FTM 2010

Hi Elaine,

Thanks very much for your help with solving my problem. Russ Worthington responded very swiftly, and I have now registered.
          Because the error message I was getting was solved by adding Ancestry.com to my computer registry, thought that registration was by going through Ancestry - not FTM - wrong! I was clicking on the wrong 'help'.

I appreciate all the help received, so a big bouquet of roses to you!
          Pam

Comment

Pleased it's sorted Pam.
            Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X