Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successful LMA visit with niece today (23 Oct 09)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful LMA visit with niece today (23 Oct 09)

I just wanted to share the fact that we had a successful visit to the LMA this afternoon (leaving at throwing-out time).

My niece now understands the attraction of visiting archives - of seeing original documents, which may have been handled by someone connected to her, or which are just historically interesting - and maybe beautiful as well - such as the original vellum Ketubah (?singular) of Joseph LYONS and Sarah COHEN.

A M MARKS had been a director of the company (eligible, I guess, because of his marriage to Joe Lyons's wife's cousin) I had known that there was some kind of obituary of her great grandfather in the Lyons Mail (staff magazine) of December 1914. I was hoping there might be a photo of him - perhaps in a group. We found the obit, and then worked backwards, once we realised that there were photos as frontispieces in each one: some of buildings, some of special people. We landed on a lovely portrait photo of her great-grandfather! and it had a little snippet of accompanying info about him, too.

No longer will my niece be speculating as to how one might fill a couple of hours at an archives office! I have promised that we'll go an visit her soon and she can come with me to the Southampton Uni Library where they have a lot of Jewish archives - which are likely to include material relating to her family. I think she might just come along, after all. ;)

Christine
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In this context, researching: FRIEDMAN/FREEMAN (England, Oz, Pikallin in Lithuania), MARKS (England, Oz, NZ, Himbach-Limeshain in Germany) STORCH (Himbach-Limeshain in Germany), COHEN, JACOBS JONES, BENJAMIN, GOLDSMID (London, England), & GOLDBERG (Lithuania)
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Good to see you are infecting the rest of the family with the history bug:smilee:

Comment

Christine

I wish I had a family member who wanted to come to archives with me!

So glad you enjoyed your day and found such exciting things.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Its good that someone else is interested.

Glad you had a good day at the LMA.

Comment

im happy too, that you had a successful trip. im lucky my mums family are interested in their tree, they dont mind being shown all the records! mum's eyes glaze over occasionally.

Comment

Hi Christine - That's great - sounds like a fun day. I dealt with the Uni of Southampton last year and they were brilliant (this was by e mail), so helpful and took consideration of information provided that was quite sensitive for the early 1900's.
            Don't suppose you have a Louis Friedman! ;-) I have a Phillip Marks of 30 Bacon Street, Bethnal Green in 1927. He was a first cousin of Hannah/Annie Orgin(e) nee Lazarus. Annie's mother was a Feldman. Phillip had known Annie for 25 years.
            Here are my search names - far too many - but include step and half families etc. All were initially in the East End of London after arriving from Lithuania, Latvia, Belarus, Ukraine etc
            BRESNARK,CHERNOSKY,CHORGAN,
            DAVIDOVITCH,DOMANIS,GOLDWITZ,GREENBERG,
            HARYUDAH,HIATT,HUNT,LEBIS,OGIN,ORGIN,
            POLIAKOFF,RABIN,RABINOVITCH,RANDALL,
            RESNICK,RUBINSTEIN,TISMAN,TISHMAN,WILSON,WOLFSON
            Last edited by naomiatt; 24-10-09, 04:49.

Comment

Working...
            X