Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Policeman to Publican in Cheshire

Hi everyone,

I think I have an impossible request but worth a try!

Herbert Price was born in 1884 in Wem Salop and in the 1911 census he was a 27 year old Police Officer and married with a new baby. They were living in New Ferry, The Wirral.

On his daughter's marriage certificate he was described as a retired publican (deceased) and was buried in Crewe, Cheshire - he died in 1938 aged 54.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas of how to find out more about his police career and where he could have been a publican. These two pieces of information were completely unknown to us until we got the marriage cert and then found them on the 1911 census.

I am in Spain which is an obvious problem! Any suggestions very welcome,
    Cheers,

I’m not near the Cheshire RO to be able to offer any help, but if/when you do find where Herbert was a Publican in Crewe and want a photo of the pub let me know. If you have the details of his grave I could also take a photo of that if you haven't already got one.

Both sets of my grandparents started off in Shropshire and ended up in Crewe and I still have family there so go quite often.

Jxx
    :smilee:

Comment

Hi,
      That is very kind of you and much appreciated! I do have a photograph of the grave but unfortunately it just has a stone urn - no headstone.
      I shall keep your offer in mind although I'm not too optimistic of finding the details I need,
      Cheers,

Comment

This thread has been moved to the Research Qs & As forum board as it doesn't appear to be a request for someone to visit a place and undertake an action at that place.

Comment

Ancestry have copies of Kelly's Directory for Cheshire from 1914, 1923 and 1934 that might be worth a search for him as a publican - I found my GGF (ex soldier/coachman/gardener) who took over the licence of a pub in Colchester from his brother when he died in 1915 in the relevant Kelly's for Essex

Presumably Herbert's death cert gives no relevant info

Good Luck
          Sue

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't quite sure where to put it!
            I will look at Ancestry as you suggested, Sue. You never know I might be lucky.

Comment

You could try the RO of the area he was a policeman, i got some records from Derby RO for one of mine or look if there is a police museum for the area, which is where i got records for my Birmingham one.

Sylvia
              Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
              Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
              Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Thanks Sylvia. At the moment searching in Kellys but it is difficult - will persevere,

Comment

Addresses for pubs are sometimes just given as ordinary addresses, ie my mil was born at 1 Pakenham Street which is actually the flat above the Pakenham Arms. So check out any addresses you have on certs, just in case.

I had several great-uncles who were Met policemen and 2 of them ended up running pubs. I was able to find one pub online with details of licencees so I had exact dates for that.

The other one was harder - it was either the Black Horse or the White Horse - not a problem, except the town has pubs with both those names. So I'll be checking them both out when I get to the records office.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions, this does seem to be pretty impossible but will keep trying,
                    Cheers,

Comment

I too have a policeman turned publican.

He was the Licensee but his wife and a manager actually worked the pub. He went on being a policeman.

Possibly because it would have been very easy for a policeman to get a License, being of impeccable character and whatnot. The fact that he was having an affair with his 13 year old niece seems to have passed everyone by.

OC

Comment

Yes, I gather lots of them took pubs in later life. I'm still looking but have so little to go on,

Comment

Working...
                        X