Saving images from Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving images from Ancestry

Can I save images to my computer or memory stick from Ancestry which I can still access even if I cease my membership?

I tried many moons ago to send images via ancestry to my brother but he couldn't access them for some reason.

I currently print off each one but would like to have them on computer too if possible.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Yes you can
    When you have the image on your screen, choose 'save' and you should get the option to save to your computer. I have a folder especially for census images.
    Sue

Comment

Yes you can. Thats what I do I save everything to my computer in specific folders and then back it up on a USB stick.

As the last poster said if you look up to your right it has an orange button that says Save just click it and then select 'to your computer' and then browse for the folder or place on your computer (create some new folders) where you want to save it and give it a name or ref so you'll know what it is.

Then I recommend every week just copying everything to a USB stick so you have a back up.

Then you can email the images/documents to whoever you want

Comment

Thank you both -

I wondered whether you just got a link which you lost when the sub expired but am glad I can keep a copy of the image.

It'll take me ages but I'll be glad to have them.

Thanks

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

You can also right click on the image you want, then click 'save image as' ...a box will appear on your screen usually with 'image.x' in file name, delete the words:- 'image.x' & name your image/doc... the quickest way is to copy & paste from the previous page... You can save this where & how you want from there..... i.e. on desktop as a jpeg
          Olga

Comment

Thanks I'll have a go.

I've just had a look at a WW2 entry but the image is a just a red X.

Can get the census images and BDM's ok though!!

Comment

I've never been able to save the files from the banns records to my computer, it seemed a good idea to be able to and then crop the bit you wanted, rather than keep the other 3 records that were irrelevant, couldn't do it until I downloaded IRFANVIEW, it was suggested on the last lost cousins news letter, with a link. It now works like a dream.

Just in case it helps anyone else!

From Peter at lost cousins

Save time and money with a free viewer
              I spend an awful lot of time viewing, saving, and printing images at Ancestry & findmypast.com but it takes me far less time than it used to - and I get better results too! It's all thanks to a program called Irfanview that you can download free (it works on all versions of Windows released in the last 15 years). It isn't the most powerful graphics program in the world - it isn't even the most powerful on my hard drive - but it is so quick and easy to use that I use it more than any other.

Although I call Irfanview a graphics program, it isn't a program for creating graphics - instead it does all the things that a busy family historian wants to do, such as converting files from one format to another, cutting the size of files so that they can be emailed, trimming off the bits that you don't want to print (some people waste a fortune in black ink printing the blank bit around the edge of census pages!), and brightening or darkening the image so that it is easier to read. And when you print something out it will automatically fit it to the paper you're using.

Until I discovered Irfanview I used to find DjVu files really difficult to handle: now I can download a DjVu image and save it as a JPG or any other format, all in a few seconds - the program opens automatically!

[Thinking about it, perhaps that's why some people don't get on as well with findmypast.com as I do? DjVu files can be a nuisance if you don't have Irfanview, and while there is an alternative format, the images download an awful lot quicker if you use the enhanced viewer.]

I'm not an expert in using Irfanview - I don't need to be in order to do the things I've described. Try it!
              Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Working...
              X