re registratation of birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re registratation of birth

If a child is born before the parents marry, is it standard to have the child's birth reregistered after the marriage? In this family I am researching the child was born and registered in the fathers name 6 months before the parents married. 5 months after the wedding there is another registration for the child.
    All the people are still alive as this was in the late 1980's.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Not sure if this helps but .....My son was born 11 months before me and his father married. When we registered his birth it was done with both our surnames. After we were married he was re-registered with just the one surname. He now has 2 birth certs and is on the BMD register twice. Although obviosly his official B/C is the 2nd one ....... Hope that makes sense

E x

" It is not unusual for a couple to have children before they are married. However, if the natural parents do subsequently marry each other a re-registration of their child's birth should be made. This will record the child as a child of their marriage and establish full legal rights "
    Last edited by Esta in Bristol; 23-10-09, 18:49.
    Esta

Comment

Thanks Esta, that clears it up - I thought that these days it wasn't necessary to re-register upon remarriage - obviously some laws still remain.

Linda
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I remember a woman who had a daughter in the same nursery class as my son telling me that that she was soon marrying the girl's father, and they would be re-registering her. (This was c2005)
        It has something to do with the rights of the father. Even if a father is named on a certificate before marriage, and the child has his name, he has no automatic right to be legal guardian if something happened to the mother. By re-registering the birth after marriage he gets those rights.

I'm sure someone will correct me, if this isn't right.

oops - Just seen the 2nd part of Esta's post.
        Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

I recently (May this year) went with my daughter and her partner to register the birth of my grandson.

The Registrar told them that if they get married then they MUST re-register the little lad's birth. The way she explained it made it sound to me like a legal requirement, not just a good thing to do.

OC

Comment

From Changing or adding a parent's details to a birth record : Directgov - Government, citizens and rights

"If the natural parents have married each other since the birth, they need to re-register the birth so that a new birth record can be created showing the child as a child of the parents’ marriage."
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It is not necessary to re-register a birth for the child to be legitimised by the subsequent marriage of the parents.

However it is the duty of the parents of such children to re-register the birth and the registrar may require them to attend his/her office to re-register the birth.
              The situation is very much like the registration of BMDs at the start of civil registration.
              One only has to comply when asked by the registrar.
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
              X