Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Taylor c 1840 birth cert

1851 census Broom Lane, Haughton HO 107 2235 44 125
    James is shown as 11 born in Hyde and his father,a widow in 1841 married Mary Gray from Ireland in Oct 1841..

I can not go back any further without James's birth cert as I need to know his mothers name.
    There are a few James Taylor born in the area at the time

I telephoned Duckinfield RO and spoke to a helpful man who said that if I sent a letter with a cheque that they would have a look when they had time...
    The letter came back in my return envelope by return of post with a note by a femail that they do not have time to check all the James Taylors for those with a father called Samuel.

I understand that there is another place that one can apply for a birth cert and that they check a few years for the correct parents name etc..

Where would this be please

I was thinking that it might be the GRO but I have never used them
    Last edited by colin taylor; 23-10-09, 17:47.

You can apply (online) to the GRO for the birth certificate, but you will have to quote all the references you have for the name you are looking for and put the father's name as a reference check. It costs £3 per check until they get to the one that is yours. They refund any balance of what you have paid up front and charge £7 for the certificate.
    Margaret

Comment

What district would Hyde come under in 1840 ?.....on freebmd it doesn`t show until 1934....allan:conf:
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Registration district for Hyde (Cheshire) would have been Stockport.
        Elaine

Comment

Thank you for the replies
          I have never used GRO before but I have seen posts were people have mentioned quoting the fathers name or any helpful information and they will search a few years...
          The GRO seems to be the right place

Comment

Be careful though - the cert may not have exact info. My husband's gt x 2 grandfather was registered with father's name "Zalig". When he married his father's name was "Solomon". Finally when gt x 3 grandad died he was registered as "Solomon Zalig Hart". As gt x 2 grandfather was called Zusman, it was fairly certain I'd found the right birth cert in the indexes, but if I'd gone for daughter Sarah and wanted to be certain and specified Solomon as father I wouldn't have got the cert!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

A little note for anyone looking in 1851 - the ref for folio/page has been transposed. It should be HO 107 2235 125 44

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine,
                I took a lot of care to get that sequence right...even checked it myself to ensure that it worked ..... and still I mess it up.
                Thank you all for your patience.

Comment

Originally posted by colin taylor View Post
                  Thank you Christine,
                  I took a lot of care to get that sequence right...even checked it myself to ensure that it worked ..... and still I mess it up.
                  Thank you all for your patience.
                  My usual trick is transposing digits - that's why I always opt for copy-paste where possible, to reduce the risk!

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X