Query re Yorkshire please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query re Yorkshire please?

Sorry mods but I haven't a clue where to stick this :Big Grin: Please feel free to move it to wherever you think best.
    It was a toss up between here/general/Research requests/Regional Projects/or the relevant section of POW :conf:

I would love to see the church where my grandparents were married. I don't think it is on the POW's yet but I'm not sure exactly what it will be under when it is. I have it as 'All Saints, Hemsworth,South Kirby, Yorkshire'. In the POW's there is a section for Hemsworth and also one for South Kirkby (should this be South Kirby?).
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

p.s. I've just been googling and I found an All Saints in South Kirkby. Could this be the same one? I have only ever seen it listed under South Kirby until today.

Comment

Hemsworth (Pontefract) is about 2 miles from South kirkby (Pontefract), which is about 2.5 miles approx from South Elmsall (Pontefract) where Hubby grew up. He was born in South Kirkby.

Will ask him if he knows when he gets home.

Jozy

Comment

Thanks Jozy :smilee: Could you ask him if he knew any Cracknells' or Grays' please :Big Grin:

I have just been having a google and I am trying to persuade hubby that, as it looks like being a nice day on Sunday, it would be a good day for a drive into Yorkshire :Big Grin: Specifically - South Kirkby where they married and South Elmsall where they lived.

Comment

You have googled but on the images section if you type All Saints Helmsworth there is a photograph.... then if you add South Kirkby after Kelsmsorth there is another photograph... from a different angle but I am not sure that they are the same church

Comment

If they were coal miners they may have known each other! Very much a mining area and family until hubbys generation.

Jozy

Comment

I have been trying to reproduce what you found Colin but I can't see it. Sorry to be a nuisance but do you have a link please? Just googled again and I may have found the 2 you mean Colin. One in South Kirkby and One near Mackworth Moor Top, which seems to be near Hemsworth.

I have just been checking Jozy but the Cracknell side were mostly railways and the gray side were mostly ag lab (may have been gypsies too way back).
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-10-09, 15:36.

Comment

All Saints Church South Kirkby Wakefield Here's a link to the South Kirkby, church website, is this what you found? There's another all saints at Ackworth, as you said but that's further away about 2 miles, in op. direction.
                Last edited by jozy; 23-10-09, 15:53.

Jozy

Comment

Oh thank you Jozy :smilee: I thought it was that one but I now have photos of the inside too, so we don't need to go on Sunday after all :Big Grin:
                  I think I would like to go one day though to see if the houses they lived in at South Elmsall are still there. Thanks again for all your help :smilee:

Comment

you could always download Google Earth and see.
                    WendyP

Comment

Jozy has directed you to one of the pictures... the better of the two.
                      The other is there if you use the images section of Google and type in all saints hemsworth it is the first picture but from the back of the church..the site is eyeful .com but if I type in the site name I can't find the picture. Odd but on eyeful site there is a photograph of All Saints Pontefract which must be a different church as it is in ruins

Comment

Thanks Wendy :smilee: I used to have that but I lost it when I changed computers.

Thanks again Colin :smilee:

Comment

What was the name of road they lived on?

I'll ask hubby tonight when he gets back from work (12 *"!$%^ hour day shift) and has had time to unwind. I know that there's lots of 'regeneration' been done in the last few years and some properties were demolished.

Jozy

Comment

Sorry Jozy, I was out last night and have only just seen your post.
                            Different families were at different addresses on several census. The ones I have found so far though are Common End/Beech Lawn/Kirkby Road and Doncaster Road.

Comment

Working...
                            X