• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• employment status

Could someone please check the following link for me? It's Hannah Wilson
    I'm looking at.

- Ancestry.co.uk

Could or would a widow have been listed as news agent on 1881 census? I would have thought this was a fairly modern job description and would have expected newspaper seller or such. Also, any idea what the other word may say please?

Thanks in advance.

Jozy

It looks like agent to me but I can't make head or tail of the other word.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks JBee, Still think it seem modern description though.

Jozy

Comment

It looks like News agent - and I think the second part may be & Tobacconist

These terms were definitely being used by 1891 - Victorian Occupations - Job Titles in the 19th Century
        Elaine

Comment

Elaine, thanks for that link, I did have one similar to that before I lost all on pc in January this year, managed to get lot of links again but keep finding odd ones I haven't got and don't realise.

Thanks again, I never thought of that, it would make sense with news agent. Do you think I should take this to be a 'street seller', as it does not mention shop/stall etc.

Jozy

Comment

Originally posted by jozy View Post
            Do you think I should take this to be a 'street seller', as it does not mention shop/stall etc.
            I would be tempted to say it is a shop. The address for the 1881 census is 85 Mabgate. If you check the same address in the 1891 census, although it is occupied by a different family, the occupation of the head of household is still Newsagent & Tobacconist.
            - Ancestry.co.uk
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks so much Elaine. :emb: why didn't I think of going forward?

It's the young Charles who I was following, he's my fathers, maternal grandfather and I just thought I'd try and follow him on census. I have him in 1901 (aged 30) with my grandmother, in 1890 (aged 20) with his wife, and the one on Mab Street (aged 9) must be him, it's one of two within 10 year span.

thanks again

Jozy

Comment

Another question, if someone was described as a highways surveyor on the 1861 census,

- Ancestry.co.uk

would it mean the same as it would today (within reason) or does it have another meaning?

Jozy

Comment

One of my relatives in 1871 was described as "Hair Dresser and News Agent"

Comment

Well people like to read a paper while they are waiting to have their hair cut, don't they?
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I'd say Newsagent & Tobacconist
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                      X