why cant I find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why cant I find

I found my g.fathers medal papers, but I still cannot find any service or pension records for him. Im still trying to find out where he came from. his reg no was, either 27134 or 57134, W H Dempster, manchester depot. any ideas where to try looking.

jean

I found my Grandfather's medal card on Ancestry plus a pension record, but his service records aren't there, so I presume his is one of the burnt lot that are missing.

Perhaps yours are amongst those ones as well.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

o.k thanks wendy.

jean

Comment

Have you tried the Manchester Regiment webpage/forum - The Manchester Regiment Group - they may be able to clarify that the 2 medal cards with the similar numbers/initials/names are for the same man and may be able to give you a little more info from the actual rolls these medals were recorded on

Presumably you know the one that has his initials is a card for the Silver War Badge (and confirms his dates of service and the fact he was discharged as "No longer physically fit for service" - and the one with his full first name is for the "normal" campaign medals for a man who didn't see active service befoe the end of 1915
        (see The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | World War One medal cards for more information about these medals)

Sadly it is almost always easier to research a casualty in WW1 than in most cases someone who survived

Good Luck

Sue

Comment

hi sue, I joined the manchester reg forum, it was they that confirmed his medal and discharge details for me. but they couldnt find anything else out about him. lemon looked on the scottish records for me a while back as he is believed to come from edinburgh, but she found nothing on him or his father.

jean
          x

Comment

Working...
          X