No announcement yet.

1911 Census - now upgraded! Australia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census - now upgraded! Australia!

I have just upgraded my FMP subscription to include the 1911 census and I've been having lots of fun viewing the people I identified.

My grandfather was in the Royal Navy from the age of 16 as an Engineer. I managed to find him in the end - his name was transcribed as PUNKIS and not PURKIS!!

He was on HMS Powerful at midnight Sunday, April 2nd, 1911 - in SYDNEY AUSTRALIA!!! He was 23 and an Engineer Lieutenant. (On the transcription it made me giggle - Sex ?

You would thnk that they could work out that on a ship full of RN staff and with the name Cecil that he would be a man!

I knew that he had been to Sydney as I have in my possession a picture of him in full regalia that was taken in Sydney with the information on the back! Isn't it great that these records were made and taken back home!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I have just discovered that in 1911 HMS Powerful went to New Zealand -

HMS Powerful (1895) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

This thread has been moved to "Research Qs & As" as it doesn't appear to be a "Research Request".

Comment

Sorry John - I was rather confused with the new options!
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:

Comment

How exciting! I love discovering new things about my ancestors!!

Julia x

Comment

Working...
          X