Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scot

Could anyone look up siblings for Jane Grieve, born in 1835 (not sure of date), to Peter Grieve & Jane Galloway of High Paisley, Renfrew.

Peter & Jane Grieve (senior - nee Galloway) were married 22 Feb 1824 at Paisley Renfrew.

A John McLaren (his mark) informed the appropriate persons of the death of George Hepburn Laughlan on 28 January 1864 (George living at 8 Moncrieff St Paisley when born 3 years earlier on 5 October 1860. He was stated to be a cousin.

We want to find out how John Mclaren is related to the family

Laughlan could be spelt 100 different ways :(
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

According to IGI, George Hepburn Laughlan born 5 Oct 1860 was the son of your Jane aka Jeanie Grieve (1835) and her husband William Laughlan. There are 2 more children for them on IGI;
    Jane Galloway Laughlan 29 Jan 1864
    Catherine Laughlan 30 Jul 1866

Comment

The family is at 8 Moncrieff Street in 1861 census with 3 children, the youngest being George age 6 months. The other 2 on IGI are not there. The surname is indexed as Langhland.
      William was from Ireland born c.1828
      The 2 children on the 1861 census are Sarah age 10 born Glasgow and William John age 2 born Auchinleck, Ayrshire
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-10-09, 12:39. Reason: correction and addition

Comment

Hi - I didnt explain myself very well, I already knew Jane Grieve's children, it was her own brothers and sisters I was after - in other words the children of Peter Grieve and Jane Galloway.

I'm trying to find the relationship of one John McLaren. I'm thinking one of Jane Grieves sisters might have married a McLaren.

I'm really sorry.

Comment

Again, IGI Jane Grieve married William Laughlan 16 Oct 1855, Govan, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. There is another entry for the marriage giving parish as Partick, Glasgow.

Comment

No probs, just looking at her hoping to find maybe a sister visiting on one of the censuses but nothing has turned up.

I can't find a match for Peter and Jane senior in 1841. Have tried them together and separately.

Comment

I've tried SP for marriages 1855 - 1870 for a John McLachlan (soundex on) and a female Grieve (also soundex on) but I've not come up with anything.

Comment

Have you looked at Jane senior's death cert to see if she was a widow or not. If not then hopefully another of her children will have been the informant. The entry is indexed twice as Greive and Grieve. She also had another surname - was she married twice maybe? I can't find a death to match for Peter in Renfrewshire so hopefully she was widowed.

1878 GRIEVE JANE ANDREW GREIVE GALLOWAY F 74 ABBEY BURGH /RENFREW 559/01 0002
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-10-09, 13:07. Reason: add

Comment

Jane Grieve (nee Galloway) did in fact remarry to a Thomas Andrew (that's all I know) - would it help if I emailed to you that particular part of the family?

Comment

Hi Jood, Are you wanting someone to visit a record office for you?

Comment

John, I'm thinking its a bit presumptious of me to expect someone to go to the Records Office. I don't know how far anyone lives from the Office.

I had visited Edinburgh RO in 1999 and did find some things. I think I thought there would be more information on line since then.

I do appreciate was Galloway Lass has done for me. (I have Galloways in the family lol)

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                        John, I'm thinking its a bit presumptious of me to expect someone to go to the Records Office. I don't know how far anyone lives from the Office.

I had visited Edinburgh RO in 1999 and did find some things. I think I thought there would be more information on line since then.

I do appreciate was Galloway Lass has done for me. (I have Galloways in the family lol)
                        Hi jood, Well, this is what this, the Research Requests, forum board is for. To ask people if they will visit a place (eg. record office) for you.

If it's just a standard request, you don't need anyone to visit a place for you, then the Research Qs & As forum board is the place to put a request.

If you would still like someone to visit a record office I will leave this thread here, otherwise I can close the thread or move it to Research Qs & As if you like. Just let me know. :Big Grin:

Comment

If you would still like someone to visit a record office I will leave this thread here, otherwise I can close the thread or move it to Research Qs & As if you like. Just let me know.
                          No, move it thanks John. I'm a bit embarrassed about it. I didn't know when I was there, that there were records in Paisley, not knowing much about Scotland, and I don't know how far people live from Paisley. I'd hate them to travel all day just on my account. Perhaps someone on the other thread might be able to help somehow - if not, back to the drawing board

Comment

I've moved the thread jood.

It doesn't really matter how far someone lives from a place though. If at some point in time someone is happy to go there then I'm sure they would also be happy to try and get the info required.

Comment

Thanks for your advice John.

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                                Jane Grieve (nee Galloway) did in fact remarry to a Thomas Andrew (that's all I know) - would it help if I emailed to you that particular part of the family?
                                This is the death certificate for Jane Galloway's 2nd husband;

1878 ANDREW THOMAS M 72 ABBEY BURGH /RENFREW 559/01 0174

Their marriage was 18 August 1856 at Paisley High Church according to IGI.

1861/71 census gives them as living at 21 Grt. Hamilton Street. This seems to have been his father's home before. Thomas is a shawl weaver.

They have 3 children; Catherine 21, Robert 19 and Elizabeth 17. At those ages, it looks like Thomas and Jane were together long before they married!

UPDATE: Those are children of Thomas and his first wife Elizabeth Sloan who were married 15 November 1833 at Abbey (Paisley), Renfrewshire. Alexander born 15 April 1835, Catherine 8 July 1839, Robert 30 November 1841 and Elizabeth 18 March 1844.

I've got a niggle about the children though as in 1851, a Thos Andrew, hand loom weaver, who is the right age for your Thomas' father is living there with the same children of the right ages plus and elder boy called Alexander. Also, the only person with Thomas and Jean in 1871 is Catherine, but she's much older and given as sister not daughter.

You'd need to check the actual pages to see if there are any transcription errors.

I know it's not helping with the original problem but it does give 2 possible girls who could have married a John McLaren.
                                Last edited by GallowayLass; 26-10-09, 10:43. Reason: update

Comment

Thanks Galloway Lass, it does seem feasible, however, I would like to see when Peter Grieve (Jane's first husband) died. I only know he died prior 1855. Peter was born 30 Nov 1805 at High Paisley, Renfrew - and his parents were Alexander Grieve & Catherine Taylor.

I just noticed that in my notes, (the following)
                                  Death Cert 1878 Paisley 559-1/2
                                  Jane Andrew (married to 1/ Peter Grieve - Shaw Weaver
                                  2/ Thomas Andrew Shaw Weaver
                                  about 74 years. Known as Jeanie.
                                  When .. 1878 January 3rd between 1 & 6h am. 21 Great Hamilton Street Paisley.
                                  Parents William GALLOWAY (Warper) - deceased
                                  Jean GALLOWAY (MS Gordon) - deceased
                                  Cause Paralysis 2 months, no medical attendant until after death
                                  Informant: Thomas Andrew widower

So I am thinking that the 3 children were Thomas's children, not Jane's, since he was a widower. She died at the address you mentioned.

I guess I'll have to check out marriages for Catherine & Elizabeth, you think?

Comment

I've just found another candidate in 1841 - a daughter (presumably as there are no relationships given that year)

Mary age 9 is with brother Alexander and sister Kathrine and their parents at Carriagehill, Paisley. Thomas is a bit younger this time, bc.1811 and is a Cotton H L W (hand loom weaver).

The surname is indexed as Andreas
                                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 26-10-09, 11:08. Reason: add

Comment

[QUOTE=jood;1876306]
                                      Informant: Thomas Andrew widowerQUOTE]

The status of widower is because he had just lost his wife and registered the death, not that he had been a widower when he married her - although he had been as it happens. The marriage certificate should give status of widower for him and widow for Jane.

Darn it! I can never get it right when picking out a wee bit to quote. Must ask how it's done LOL
                                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 26-10-09, 11:23. Reason: add

Comment

Galloway Lass - I just noticed you had written this ..... I've tried SP for marriages 1855 - 1870 for a John McLachlan (soundex on) and a female Grieve (also soundex on) but I've not come up with anything.

I presume you meant John McLAREN?

I understand what you mean by Thomas Andrew being a newly widowed man when his wife Jane died, but by the same token, he could have been a widower prior to the second marriage and had the kids to his first wife?

ps G/Lass - I had the same trouble with the quotes - now I manually type them in lol (thus ... OOOOH - they dinna come out - I'll try again (I'll leave out the word quote) [ ] [/ ] get it???
                                        Last edited by jood; 26-10-09, 11:33.

Comment

Working...
                                        X