Help with reading WW1 army record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with reading WW1 army record

Hi, first time on this forum! I'm a bit stuck with my family tree at the moment and am looking for a bit of help.

My great grandfather served in WW1 and survived, well he was invalided out as far as I know. I have a feeling his records were part of the 'burnt' ones as I couldn't find anything on my trip to Kew. Also not sure on the spelling, my surname is Demott but have tried Dermott too.

I've found the following medal record and I'm trying to find out if this is my great grandfather but I cannot read which regiment this person was in! My family originate from the north London area.

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk

If this turns out to be a dead end are there any other places I can try?

Oh and also, is there any other information I can add that would help?

Thank you!
    Ju

I think Lab C refers to the Labour Corps, not sure what the writing above it says though

oops forgot my manners, welcome to the forum
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 22-10-09, 20:19.

Comment

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

The transcription of the medal card on the National ARchives website is as follows:

Medal card of Dermott, Thomas A
      Corps / Regiment No / Rank
      Northamptonshire Regiment / 33687 / Private
      Labour Corps / 83556 / Private
      Elaine

Comment

What was your ggrandfather's full name?
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks for your quick replies!!

My ggf was Thomas Alfred Demott but a lot of places put an 'r' in it to make it Dermott which doesn't help!

Still not sure whether it is my ggf's record possibly could be with it being Hampshire and him being from north London. Do you know where I can find out anything further?

Comment

Just a thought, was he definitely a British citizen? If not, he might be on say Canadian / Irish records.

Welcome to FTF by the way
            Hail Spode!

Comment

Ju

I have done a little bit of investigation into my husband's grandfather who also served Northamptonshire Regiment and Labour Corps (36765 and 87870)

I have used regimental numbers on MIC's, the odd surviving pension/service record on Ancestry and casualties on CWGC plus birth/census records for those able to be traced - to piece together what I have been able to find

Briefly - there seem to have been large numbers of men who took this same route with similar regimental numbers (many from various parts of London as well as some from other parts of the country) who I believe were conscripted later in the war (which meant they had virtually no choice what Regiment they served with) - most seemed to have been called up early in 1917 initially into the Northamptonshire Regiment but were fairly quickly transferred into the Labour Corps once that was established

The Labour Corps left very few records - one man who has spent years trying to pull together the pieces is Ivor Lee - his website

Military Labour During The First

gives a lot of info and you will see there he has just had a book published

Hope this helps a little

Cheers
              Sue
              Last edited by SueNSW; 23-10-09, 07:07.

Comment

Hi Ju,
                welcome to FTF.
                Have you or any family members got his medals?
                His army number would be engraved on the medal, then you can check that you have the correct medal card.

Also photos of him in uniform might help.
                ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Working...
                X