Buckingham palace - employee archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckingham palace - employee archives

Does anybody know if the Royal Archives with details of employees are available on line? In the early 1900's a lady called Lillian nee Waldman, worked at Buckingham Palace. I was told as a lady-in-waiting, but I'm not sure if she was as senior as that! ; -) Hard to say. Lillian was married to Hyman/Herman Berg/Burg/Bury...but that surname was used on arrival to Ellis Island. Not sure what their surname was in the U.K. Two of their daughters were born there, Janie/Jane/Jenie late 1904-early 1905, and Rose around 1902. They lived near to Buckingham Palace. Lillian was also known as Etta Leah or Leah. I would think that if they weren't on the same side as BP, they could have been across the river around Lambeth way. Hyman/Herman had what was described as a 'limey' accent..I think he probably sounded more Cockney..so East End, East of London etc.
    Bit of a long shot I know!
    Last edited by naomiatt; 22-10-09, 06:14.

HI Naomiatt

Not what you asked for but I found the family on the 1920 USA Census and both Hermann and Lillian are stated as being born in Galicia.

just incase you want the info
    WendyP

Comment

Here's some info about contacting the Royal Archives -

The Monarchy Today > The Royal Household > The Royal Archives > FAQs

I wrote to them a few years ago and, even though they couldn't help, they got back to me fairly quickly...

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
        HI Naomiatt

Not what you asked for but I found the family on the 1920 USA Census and both Hermann and Lillian are stated as being born in Galicia.

just incase you want the info
        Thanks Wendy. Got them coming in to the US and everything else after..but it's been really hard trying to find them in what I presume is London.
        Rose was 3 when she got to Ellis Island in Sept 1905, Jane was 7 months.
        Know that Lillian/Leah/Etta Leah etc was maiden name of Waldman. but not sure about Hyman/Herman, except for Berg...which I think was chopped off from something else, or, the surname sounded like Berg, and nobody understood what it was. Been trying to find births that would fit Rose and Jane..but nothing seems to be connecting. I don't know that Herman and Lillian married in the UK, could have been in 'Galicia', but according to the 1910 US census, they would have married around 1897/1899'ish! :conf:

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
          Here's some info about contacting the Royal Archives -

The Monarchy Today > The Royal Household > The Royal Archives > FAQs

I wrote to them a few years ago and, even though they couldn't help, they got back to me fairly quickly...
          Thanks Velma. Will give it a try.

Comment

HI

I take then that the Waldman surname came from a USA birth cert?
            WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
              HI

I take then that the Waldman surname came from a USA birth cert?
              Yes, they had more children in the U.S.

Comment

Working...
              X