I just found my mum's second cousin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just found my mum's second cousin!

I've just had quite a successful evening. Earlier I decided to fill out my tree with all the people still living. It's odd, I have the lives and deaths of people that died decades ago but my living family records are rather sparse. So I set to work.

I started on my mother's side as it's easier than my dad's. After ploughing away, I got to my mum's great aunt and her son. The details I knew about were that the son married an American woman Brenda and the family lost contact with him in the 1960s. Last we knew was he probably moved to the US with her.

My Nan (my mum's mum) moved down to Dorset in the 1980s from London where the family hailed from and we followed a few years later. She'd aparently been looking for her cousin since they lost contact all those years ago.

So firstly I found his birth on Ancestry in 1922, then his marriage to Marjorie B, not Brenda but she was probably known by her second name. His surname was slightly different to family knowledge too. Marjorie was born in Surrey, which to my knowledge, isn't in the US. I then had a quick look at my 192.com disks and found him, still married to Marjorie (Brenda) and living 10 minutes away from us in Dorset!

Unfortunately my Nan died in 1999 but my mum phoned him (after me getting the number from bt.com). He's 87 and a bit senile but his wife remembered my mum and we're going to visit them next week sometime.

It's such a small world and the internet is certainly making it smaller.
    Hail Spode!

How lovely for you and your Mum I agree it certainly is a small world and the internet makes it seem smaller. Enjoy your reunion.

Comment

It's great to get some nice news!

Comment

oh Guy!!

what terriffic news!!

well done that man!

dont forget to give us a progress report :Wink:
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks will do! You never know, he might know something about the Wayman/Hemmings thing I'm always banging on about.
          Hail Spode!

Comment

Good for you and your Mam Guy nice to hear some nice news on this thread as well ;;
            borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by guybrush View Post
              Thanks will do! You never know, he might know something about the Wayman/Hemmings thing I'm always banging on about.

oohhh lets hope so :Wink:
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Congratulations! What lovely news.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                X