Help before 1837 please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help before 1837 please

I always struggle before 1837 and would love to know how some of you come up with lists of children born to certain people etc. When I have asked before I think I have been told IGI?:conf: I'm afraid I only know about Family search and, on there, if you only put one name i.e. Christian or surname, you cannot fill in any other box. For instance - I am stuck now :(

In 1841 - all living and born in South Elmsall, I have William Gray aged 45 ag lab. Underneath him there is Eliza 15 - Ann 10 - THEN Charles 15 and George 10 !! I have found a Christening for the first 2 in South Kirby - father William mother Elizabeth. As the other two are exactly the same ages and yet below the other two, would you think they had different parents and just being looked after by William?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

p.s. I can't even find out which Elizabeth William married. There are several in Yorks but non in South Elmsall (Hemsworth) to be sure

Comment

Chrissie

What are you trying to find and what search method are you using?

As for the children they aren't necessarily someone elses children the LDS isn't one of the most complete or accurate sources.

Comment

I can see one for George as well.

To find siblings - first find the christenings for one of the children, e.g. Eliza Gray - 3 Sept 1826
        When you have it on the page, click on the batch no. C106761

This will bring up a new search page - with the batch number listed in the search box.
        Just enter parents names - father William Gray, mother Elizabeth - nothing else - click SEARCH.

This will bring up any christenings in that batch to parents William & Elizabeth Gray. Obviously there is no guarantee they are siblings but at least it gives you something to work with.
        Elaine

Comment

Thank you Maggie :smilee:. No, the reason I wondered if they belonged to someone else was because firstly, they were listed after the other two, even though Charles was older than Ann and secondly (and more curious) was because Eliza and Charles were the same age and so were Ann and George. So either born very close together (twice) or twins. Also looking for a marriage.

Thank you Elaine :smilee: I will go and have a go. Was the George you found christened with parents William and Elizabeth in South Kirby too ?
          UPDATE - Thank you - it worked - I found George No Charles though.
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 21-10-09, 17:48.

Comment

It´s possible they listed the girls on the census first, then the boys - and of course Charles could be aged anywhere between 15 and 19 as the age would have been rounded down. Perhaps he was christened elsewhere.
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks again Elaine. I hadn't thought of that as I have only seen the boys listed first before. I'm obviously a descendant of a womens lib family :Big Grin:

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                Thank you Maggie :smilee:. No, the reason I wondered if they belonged to someone else was because firstly, they were listed after the other two, even though Charles was older than Ann and secondly (and more curious) was because Eliza and Charles were the same age and so were Ann and George. So either born very close together (twice) or twins. Also looking for a marriage.

Thank you Elaine :smilee: I will go and have a go. Was the George you found christened with parents William and Elizabeth in South Kirby too ?
                UPDATE - Thank you - it worked - I found George No Charles though.

Oh I understand now. No I think they're all the same family.

I have the same thing on an 1841 census all the males are listed first and then the femals even the wife :smilee: in fact Elaine saw that census too.

And remember the 1841 rounded up ages and to be honest I don't think some of the census takers could be bothered.

Give the ref and we'll take a look.

Comment

I would have to search for it Maggie. I found it and saved it to my computer ages ago. All I can see down the side of the page is HO107/ 1310/2 and at the top it says enumeration schedule 6.

Does anyone know if parts of 1851 are missing please? I can't find ANYONE living in South Elmsall (Hemsworth) and I know they should be there as some of them married from there :conf: All this because I thought it was about time I got back to my own tree :Big Grin:

Comment

The only missing pages I can see that are noted on Ancestry are for the following parishes.

Broadroyd Head
                    Carlton
                    Carr Green
                    Cudworth with High & Low Cudworth
                    Darton
                    Darton Lane Head Darton with Blacker
                    Mapplewell
                    Notton
                    Roystone
                    Staincross & Swallow Hill
                    Woolley

Who are you looking for in 1851?
                    Elaine

Comment

The same family Elaine. I have just checked FMP too and there is nothing coming up for any Grays in South Elmsall but I know they were there :conf:
                      George for instance married there in 1852.

Comment

South Elmsall is definitely there - found your Gray family (transcribed as Grey)
                        - Ancestry.co.uk

Oops - cross posted - but found the right one!
                        Elaine

Comment

Oh thank you Elaine. I should have tried Grey but in the past Ancestry would have brought it up under South Elmsall anyway. I don't think the new system is so good - or maybe it's me that's rusty :Big Grin:

Can you tell me please - how/where I might find out which Elizabeth William married? Do I have to actually go up there (Elmsall or somewhere) or might there be any records on line? p.s. Just noticed that William was born in Houghton Yorkshire.
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 21-10-09, 18:41.

Comment

I always struggle before 1837 and would love to know how some of you come up with lists of children born to certain people etc. When I have asked before I think I have been told IGI?:conf: I'm afraid I only know about Family search and, on there, if you only put one name i.e. Christian or surname, you cannot fill in any other box. For instance - I am stuck now :(

In 1841 - all living and born in South Elmsall, I have William Gray aged 45 ag lab. Underneath him there is Eliza 15 - Ann 10 - THEN Charles 15 and George 10 !! I have found a Christening for the first 2 in South Kirby - father William mother Elizabeth. As the other two are exactly the same ages and yet below the other two, would you think they had different parents and just being looked after by William?

Okay seen it.

They are all William's children I think the girls came first because probably Eliza was actually looking after the rest or the census taker decided to list them that way. Plus the 1841 they rounded up the ages.

Comment

Can you tell me please - how/where I might find out which Elizabeth William married? Do I have to actually go up there (Elmsall or somewhere) or might there be any records on line?
                              Personally I don´t know of any records online - might be worth googling to see if anything comes up. One of the problems I presume you have is that you don´t know were Elizabeth was born and therefore the parish she might have married in.
                              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Maggie :smilee: Yes, in 1851 Charles is 26 - George 21 and Ann 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                  Personally I don´t know of any records online - might be worth googling to see if anything comes up. One of the problems I presume you have is that you don´t know were Elizabeth was born and therefore the parish she might have married in.
                                  That's right Elaine, I don't. I wonder if they married where the 1851 says William was born i.e. Houghton Yorkshire. I had better get a map out :conf:

Comment

you could write a letter to the paper Hemsworth & South Elmsall Express - News asking if anyone is descended from your Grays
                                    Rose

Comment

*jumps up and down*

smack between south elmsall and houghton is a place called Clayton:Big Grin:
                                      Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie Knees View Post
                                        *jumps up and down*

smack between south elmsall and houghton is a place called Clayton:Big Grin:
                                        Is that good :conf::Big Grin::Big Grin:

Comment

Working...
                                        X