Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare these signatures

:conf:

These signatures are taken from my grandparent's original wedding certificate. The witnesses are the mothers of the bride and groom: Emily Sarah Edmonds and Emma Bysh. The names are correct BUT I think that both signatures are in the same hand. What do you think?

We can't think why this would have happened: my father says that both women were able bodied with reasonably good eyesight and neither of them was bossy enough to say to the other, "I'll sign this for you."

Any ideas?

Last edited by Somerset Sal; 21-10-09, 16:01. Reason: link to picture was wrong.
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Well the Es and Ms are definitely identical.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Last wedding I was a witness at I signed the register but I didn't sign the certificate, the vicar copied out the details onto that.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Ah... Judith, I think you've given me the answer. Thank you both for having a look. :smilee:
        Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

I guess it might also happen if they both went to the same primary school - i.e. they were taught to write by the same person/people.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think the actual register will have the original signatures but the cert was copied out by one person.

Comment

Due to having downloaded a LOT of marriages for my one name study I'm becoming something of an expert on the different things you see (*she says modestly* - but over 800 .... well)

I have noticed that most of the marriage certificate forms in the Parish Register books DO have the actual signatures of each person - bride, groom, witnesses and vicar - all in different writing. It is fascinating to see as the years go on how many more can write their own name competently.

The actual certificate usually seems to be written out by a clerk beforehand - definitely not the vicar in most cases.

If someone makes their 'mark' it is usually the vicar's writing that adds the name and 'the mark of'.

SOMETIMES I think that some of the signatures have been written by the same hand. This can either be the bride seeming to have written the groom's name (or vice versa) or the witnesses being in the same hand. I have not bee able to figure out just what is happening on these ones :conf:

VERY OCCASIONALLY all the signatures seem to be in one hand - in these cases I wonder if they were copied into the book later and another one given to the bride and groom.

Quite often if the signature in illegible the vicar has written nearby what it should say - presumably this is to help him/the clerk copy the certificate for the local register office.

Hope this helps - I knew what I had been slogging away at would come in useful :smilee:

Anne

PS I have seen one certificate all filled in but CANCELLED written over it.

Comment

Working...
              X