Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Critchley's of Prescot - extra eyes needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critchley's of Prescot - extra eyes needed!

Hello All,

I haven't posted for a while but have started recently to trace my Mothers side of the family, and as you have all been so kind and helpful before I thought I would ask again

I have found that my ancestor Henry Critchley born approx 1842 is the son of James Critchley born approx 1823. From census returns for 1841 I can deduce that James father was Henry Critchley born 1798 in Prescot and his mother Elizabeth is listed too. By the 1851 census James child Henry (circa 1841) was living with his Grandfather Henry (circa 1798). I don't know what has happened to his Father James Critchley and I also don't know the name of his Mother. Could anybody tell me where to start looking for them? I have two possible Henry Critchley's born approx 1842 in Prescot in the Ancestry catalogue, one in March and one in September? Is my only hope to order them both or can you tell me any other resources in the Prescot area that I may be able to cross reference?

Kind regards,

Julia

you could try looking on this site:

Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths

if you go back to the main part you can search BMD's for free on it

this is the mainpage:

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you for the link Julie - I have looked but no joy for them I am afraid!

Looks like I will have to take the plunge and order both the certificates.

Kind regards,

Julia

Comment

Have you tried looking on the LDS/hugh wallis site to see if he was baptised at all?

Counties in England

that is for Hugh Wallis site, he only had 'extracted' entries on it,

failing that if you know the parish/village and a date maybe try emailing the library (local studies) near the event place, they might be willingto have a look in the parish registers on microfiche for you.
        Julie

Comment

From looking at the 1851 entry it has Henry (g'son) and mary (dau) both being born in Eccleston..whether this comes under prescot I have no idea.
          Julie

Comment

I liked the link you gave - it was useful in checking the LDS site and I will definitely use it again! Unfortunately my Henry Critchley doesn't seem to have been christened or maybe not at the churches listed. I have also tried the Lancashire Parish Records website with no luck. I have checked them for James Critchley's marriage also with no luck either. I may phone Prescot Library tomorrow to see if they can help.

Thank you very much Julie x

Comment

Hiya Julia......I hope I can be of some help..Eccleston is within St Helens and probably was under Prescot in 1830`s
              ..do you know he was born in Prescot...or just registered there ?
              The reason I ask is that Critchley is a well known name in Hale Village,and Halewood on the outskirts of Liverpool...the register office for Hale Village and Halewood is PRESCOT..
              As a child in the 1950`s all the children played around a massive farm owned by Critchley....THIS IS NOW FORDS FACTORY HALEWOOD....in Speke,there is a Critchley Road which is named after the same farmer...might I suggest you do a look up for Critchley on the Tithe Survey of 1834-37 as I`m sure you will find in Hale / Speke / Halewood / that the Critchley owned a MASSIVE amount of land...good luck....allan:smilee:
              Last edited by garstonite; 22-10-09, 08:35.
              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Ooh if only Allan - I would love it if my Critchleys came from Money!! Alas My Critchleys seem to be humble watchmakers and it appears he was born in Prescot from census returns.

Thank you so much for your suggestion - I see you have the Gorton area in one of your surname interests. I was born and grew up in Manchester, I lived in Ardwick for many years and used to go to friends houses in Gorton!

Julia x

Comment

Working...
                X