Quick Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question

Hi - just a quick question. Did you have to be wealthy in the early 1900's to go to University ?

I am doing my friend's husband's family tree and he is insisting that his grandad went to Birmingham University in the early 1900's (prob from 1905 upto 1910) to study dentistry.

I am trying to track the family backwards in the 1901 census and am getting quite stuck - the majority of the Charles Taylor's I can see born in Birmingham were working class. There is one whose father was a professor of Music and I am thinking that this is the probable family but I would just like your thoughts please ?

Many thanks

Chris

I guess you would need some money to be able to study instead of going to work, but maybe there were bursaries available then as there is now. Here's a link to the site about the dentistry campus About Us - College of Medical and Dental Sciences
    Perhaps they have an alumni index you could ask them to search for your relatives, name.
    Also on ancestry there is a medical directory index, not sure if it covers dentists.
    Margaret

Comment

Here's a link for a site for the register of dentists, not sure if they have old registers but worth a try GDC - Search our registers - Form
      Margaret

Comment

Thanks very much Margaret, will now look at these

Comment

Working...
        X