Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I go for Publican records

Hi,

Two of my relations were publicans in the Knowle area of Bristol in the 1800's.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that records are kept of who was a landlord of Public Houses in Bristol.

Does anyone know where I go?

Thanks.

Inns and Public Houses - Family Tree Forum

This page from our wiki includes a link to Bristol Pubs amongst others.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi - not in relation to Bristol pubs - but useful for a bit later re; pubs in the London area, Essex and Dorset. http://historyofstratford.co.uk/streets/index.shtml

Comment

great thanks very much.

Comment

Does anyone know where I would look for Cheshire publicans before 1938, please?

Comment

Probably Cheshire records office, they should have details of applications for licences, trades direectories etc.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Little Nell, will have a look,

Comment

If you live near the appropriate record office, or can get sks to go for you, it should be an easy task to get the staff to find the Register of Licenses (Pursuant to The Licensing Act 1872). I found some of OH's publicans in Nottingham RO http://ftfmagazine.lewcock.net/index...d=50:july-2009. There must have been registers of some kind pre 1872 but there was a change to Licencing Act around then so I don't know what they would be called.

You will need to know the area your ancesters were in and the name of the pub or beerhouse would help too. If you're lucky enough to find them in the register you may be lucky, like I was, and find that they had been up to no good!!:Wink:

Good luck
                Rose

Comment

for those of us looking at publicans in SE England there are some useful entries here

London, Essex, Kent, Hertfordshire, Suffolk, Middlesex, Surrey & Sussex Pubs, Inns, Taverns & Beer Houses History & Trade Directory.

I've been in sending pub photos & census/directory entries now I've almost exhausted all the Places of Worship near me (and OH prefers pubs to churches:Wink

Comment

Thank you both I will go for the Cheshire RO first but it will have to be by email as I am in Spain. Which makes life a tad more difficult,
                    Cheers,

Comment

Fortuna, you could try putting a plea for a lookup on here Research Requests - Family Tree Forum
                      Rose

Comment

Have taken your advice,
                        Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                        X