Marriage banns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage banns

I noticed that a******* have some new records online including banns of marriage for London. I went as far as I could go as an unpaid member and noticed separately a Frederick Meyers from Middlesex and a Judith Myers also from Middlesex.
    Frederick was sent out as a convict to Tasmania, Australia. His wife, Judith, was also sent out and was placed at Parramatta Womens Factory. She was allowed to join Frederick in Tasmania but drowned.
    Is anybody able to see the marriage?
    Thanks
    Naomiatt

are you sure they married?? cannot see a Frederick Meyers with a Judith

Comment

What time period are you talking about? I can't see Judith Myers banns with Frederick as a groom, or Frederick Meyers with a Judith as bride.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

found a Judith Myers marrying a Samuel Watts on pallots in 1792

Comment

A Frederick Meyers married Sarah Kadwill 29 Mar 1857 @ Christchurch Spitalfields.

The other Frederick Meyers m Mary Jane Adland 14 Apr 1888 @ All Souls Newington

Judith Myers m George Moore Ellis 27 Apr 1843 @ St Pancras Church (& her father rejoiced in the name of Streasham Derbyshire Myers!)

Comment

Thanks everyone - I'm a bit stumped at the moment...they had a son called Thomas born in 1815 in London . He died on 8 Oct 1849 in Hobart Town, Tasmania and I have details of his marriage, children etc.
            I'll try and find some more info about Judith and Frederick.

(Streasham Derbyshire Myers! - what a great name!! ; -)

Comment

Hi everyone - I've received more info, but it's copywright.
              If you'd like to see the info, can you pm me.
              Thanks! :smilee:

Comment

Hi - I have some further info - Frederick and Judith had three known children born in England - Frederick, born around 1811, Benjamin a.k.a James born 1813 and Thomas born 1815. Judith has also shown as Judeth and her surname has shown as Myres and Myers. She was born in London, 1788. Frederick senior was born in Bremen in 1785. In Tasmania, they were recorded as husband and wife on various records as were their sons recorded as well although there is mention of a daughter, but no name. They arrived in Tasmania in 1820, Judith arriving two months before her husband.
                As both their surnames are so similar, they might show as Mayer, Myer, Mayers, Myers and variations. Frederick could show as Freidrich, Federic, Fritz, Friderikh, Fridel etc.
                Last edited by naomiatt; 24-10-09, 06:26.

Comment

Were they Jewish? If so they would have married according to the Jewish faith and not be in parish registers.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    Were they Jewish? If so they would have married according to the Jewish faith and not be in parish registers.
                    Hi - I'll double check - Judith had a C of E Burial. Frederick was buried in a Presbyterian Church.

Comment

Hi Little Nell - no, they weren't Jewish.

Comment

I know this might not be easy - is it poss to search for a Judith with these children -
                        Frederick, born around 1811, James born 1813 and Thomas born 1815 - or with a Frederick as the father and the children?

Comment

Found this one, Ancestry has the name transcribed as Ryer, but I think the image looks like Myer.

James born 21/11/1813 and baptised 28/11/1813, son of Frederick and Judith = St. Anne, Limehouse. Father a labourer.
                          Last edited by SuffolkSue; 27-10-09, 09:56. Reason: original dates were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SuffolkSue View Post
                            Found this one, Ancestry has the name transcribed as Ryer, but I think the image looks like Myer.

James born 23/11/1813 and baptised 20/11/1813, son of Frederick and Judith = At. Anne, Limehouse. Father a labourer.
                            Wow, that's great. Thank you. Sounds promising. Can you by any chance see more children for that family? There in theory should be two more boys, but there was a mention of a girl....only once though in some Tasmanian records.
                            Not sure if the girl was muddled for a boy in error.

Comment

I've looked and I can't find anything for them at all.

I think they are probably very mistransribed somewhere.

Edit to say: I have just looked at the one SuffolkSue found and I think its definitely Myer not Ryer.
                              Last edited by Guest; 27-10-09, 09:01.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                                I've looked and I can't find anything for them at all.

I think they are probably very mistransribed somewhere.

Edit to say: I have just looked at the one SuffolkSue found and I think its definitely Myer not Ryer.
                                Hi - thanks - yes, sounds like they are all probably mistranscribed......that's great that you both read it as Myer. How do you go about getting more detail of a baptism.... would it tell much more?

Comment

I have amended above post as I put the original dates in wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                                    Hi - thanks - yes, sounds like they are all probably mistranscribed......that's great that you both read it as Myer. How do you go about getting more detail of a baptism.... would it tell much more?
                                    Name of child, father and mother's name, occupation of father, address

that's about it.

Unfortunately on that one the vicar as put Limehouse as the address which isn't much help as Limehouse was just the area.

So all that's on it is what SuffulkSue as posted.
                                    Last edited by Guest; 27-10-09, 09:47.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                                      Name of child, father and mother's name, occupation of father, address

that's about it.

Unfortunately on that one the vicar as put Limehouse as the address which isn't much help as Limehouse was just the area.

So all that's on it is what SuffulkSue as posted.
                                      Thanks Maggie.
                                      I think it might be St Anne's Limehouse...
                                      I just looked at ParishRegister.com - Search Parish Registers Online
                                      and a James Myer is on there.

Comment

What I meant was there isn't an actual address on it in the Abode column it just says Limehouse most times they put the number of house and street name. This vicar didn't.

Baptism was at St Anne's Limehouse.

Sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X