The Holbrook Family - can anyone help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holbrook Family - can anyone help

I am looking to trace back the Holbrook family.

here they are in 1861

- Ancestry.co.uk

I cant quite make out all the words in the were born field - I think Hounslow, London.

can anyone see what the other words are.

I also have the 51 & 41 records for them.

If it is hounslow then ancestry has a birth entry in 1816 for him with parents George & Martha.

However, on the familysearch.org website it says he was born in 1818 in Hounslow (no matches in ancesrty for 1818)

+ it says he was married to Sarah (known to be Beacham from the childrens birth certs I have) in 1838 in Somerset - but again no match in Ancestry for a marriage.

The familysearch.org website does not have any reference to say where their records have come from. So I am a bit stuck.

Want to find the marriage - but not sure where to go and want to confirm birth as 1816 and not 1818 in family search.

Anyone got any ideas what next I can do.

thanks.
    Last edited by oliveriles; 19-10-09, 13:42.

Originally posted by oliveriles View Post
    I am looking to trace back the Holbrook family.

here they are in 1861

- Ancestry.co.uk

I cant quite make out all the words in the were born field - I think Hounslow, London.

can anyone see what the other words are.

I also have the 51 & 41 records for them.

If it is hounslow then ancestry has a borth entry in 1816 for him with parents George & Martha.

However, on the familysearch.org website it says he was born in 1818 in Hounslow (no matches in ancesrty for 1818)

+ it says he was married to Sarah (known to be Beacham from the childrens birth certs I have) in 1838 in Somerset - but again no match in Ancestry for a marriage.

The familysearch.org website does not have any reference to say where their records have come from. So I am a bit stuck.

Want to find the marriage - but not sure where to go and want to confirm birth as 1816 and not 1818 in family search.

Anyone got any ideas what next I can do.

thanks.
    Being as the family search site is baptisms mostly, it could be that he was baptised in 1818 but born in 1816

Comment

On looking at the 1841 census you have on your public tree for Thomas Holbrook, are you sure this is the correct one as this thomas holbrook was according to the census, born in Somerset ??

Comment

yes that is correct I am not sure the 41 census record is the right one - the 51 and 61 both state Hounslow. It seems quite often in the 41 census records they record birth place as the district they are living in even when the census records later for later years show they were born elsewhere.
        Last edited by oliveriles; 19-10-09, 14:27.

Comment

looking again at your public tree, I see both the eldest girls Sarah and Martha are given birth dates from IGI submitted records and not actual parish records. How sure are you that these are definately thomas's children. Could Sarah have been married before ? I am sorry I appear to be pulling your tree to pieces but I am trying to find a marriage for Thomas and Sarah which I can't at the moment !!

Comment

Looking again, I can see an entry for a marriage for a Thomas Holbrook in the Bedminster part of Somerset in 1840 to a Sarah Winter. Thomas and Sarah were in the Bedminster area for the 1841 census. A Martha Winter was born in 1838 in Bristol so I am wondering now if Sarah was married previously ? Could be ...

Comment

Just a word of warning about the IGI if you don't already know

- extracted entries have been taken from the parish records and are more than likely correct but you still need to check.

- however submitted entries are very often wide of the mark and you could eventually find if you don't check and find supporting evidence that they've led you on a wild goose chase.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

yes good points.

As we are dealing with pre 1837 I will get the local cd's containing birth and marriage details and see if Sarah was married before. I have her maiden name as Beacham on one of the later children born - so hopefully can find a tie in to the Winter name.

Comment

If Sarah was previously married it 'should' show on the child's birth cert. in the form of:
                  Mother Sarah HOLBROOK, late ??????????? formerly BEACHAM.

If not, I don't suppose it proves she wasn't married before but all my previously married mothers are shown this way.
                  Glen

Comment

Not necessarily - One of my ancestors (gg grandmother) was married previously, then remarried and my g grandmother's birth certificate just had the mother's maiden name on - not the previous marriage.

Comment

Working...
                    X