More Donner family help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Donner family help please

Can anyone help with more info on the Donner family please ?. On the 1891 census I have a James Donner, Charles Donner, John William Donner and George Donner. I've found plenty of info on John William as he was my Great Grandad but can't find anything about what happened to his brothers. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Tricia

A few dates and places might be useful? ;)

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Am i daft or what....lol. Sorry for that. 1891 census shows
      James Donner ........born 1853 (senior)
      James Donner.........born 1877 (junior)
      Charles Donner........born 1879
      John William Donner........born 1883
      George Donner........born 1886
      Their address is 8 The Square. Blackerhill. Worsborough. Barnsley

Comment

Thanks - gotcha! RG12/3782 fo 91 p 54

You've presumably got the birth registrations, if not the certs, for the siblings?

Have you got the marriage reg / cert for the parents?

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-10-09, 18:37.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

James Donner ........born 1853 (senior)

James Donner.........born 1877 (junior) 1877q1 Glanford Brigg
          Charles Donner........born 1879 Charles Henry Donner 1878q4 Louth
          John William Donner........born 1883 1883q2 Caistor
          George Donner........born 1886 ?George E 1885 Drypool

If the Drypool (Hull) registration is correct, then there may also be:
          Walter S 1887 ~ d 1888
          Jessie Mi 1892
          Alice A T 1894

Christine

Comment

I've looked at the GRO index images. I can't see George E DONNER registered in 1885, Hull. Nor even in 1886q1.

Looks like one which didn't make the jump to GRO, or was mistranscribed at that stage - or I've missed something (I don't claim to be infallible).

Christine

Comment

Found them in 1881: RG11/3268 fo55 p 11

Looks like "Mum" must have been Caroline BORRILL, m 1875q3 Glanford Brigg. That surname may be BURRILL, given that the "sister" staying in 1881 has BURRILL as a surname, so should probably be SiL, not sister.

James senr is a fisherman at that stage, rather than a bricklayer's labourer.

At some point, this link might be useful: Lincolnshire Marriage Indexes 1837-1850
              but it doesn't run late enough for Glanford Brigg - even if they get it up to match some of the others (1875) - to be useful for James & Caroline.

Christine

Comment

All I've got is a copy of the 1891 census records but i did find out that James (senior) and his wife Caroline split up sometime inbetween 1888 and 1890. She did remarry to a man called Benjamin Edmonds, to which she had 2 daughters Jessie M born 1892 and Alice A born 1894/95. I thought these 2 daughters were Edmonds and not Donners ?. I'd never heard of a Walter S but looks like he died when he was a baby.
                The 1901 census shows John William and James (junior) living with their Mum, who is down as Caroline Edmonds. The 2 girls, Jessie and Alice are also living at the address which is 31 Hedon Road, Churchill Street, Sculcoates, Kingston upon Hull.
                Thanks for your help so far Christine, its all very much appreciated
                Tricia

Comment

In 1901: RG13/4483 fo20 p 32.
                  John W (18) + brother, James (showing as only 20???, and a railway lab instead of a coal miner)

Charles? RG13/3168 fo 14 p 20

James senr?? (new wife) with George: RG13/4323 fo 154 p 26.

Christine

~~~~~~~

Ahh so the first one, above, is right.

Comment

James did remarry a Sara Barker, who already had 3 children. So you think George could have been James and Saras child, not his and Carolines ?

Comment

I hadn't thought that before. He's with the 1891 set of family... but, of course, Caroline isn't, so maybe that explains why he's with James & Sara, not with Caroline & her new family.

Christine

Comment

So any clues as to what happened to James, Charles and George ?

Comment

I've had a look around for George.

He seems to be George Edward still living in Barnsley with James and Sarah in 1901 and 1911. It looks like he married Eliza Haigh in 1907 and there is a little girl Ida born 1908 with them all in 1911, presumably their daughter.

There are also WW1 service records on Ancestry which seem to fit, same name and right age.

Jane
                          Last edited by Breckland Jane; 19-10-09, 20:15.

Comment

There are several more Donner children born in Barnsley with the mmn of Haigh.

Cyril 1911, Annie 1913, Irene 1916, Florence M 1920, Alfred E 1922.

Jane

Comment

I think i've just found Ida's death on FreeBMD. Looks like the poor girl died aged 7 in 1915

Comment

Working...
                              X