LMA on Ancestry brilliant found a whole new family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LMA on Ancestry brilliant found a whole new family

I recently found somebody I am researching had two more children than I knew of so had assumed they had died young, but yesterday I started to look deeper into them and found they had survived and married and had children themselves ,so have found a whole new line to investigate because of the LMA records.
    Only thing is I could not switch off so stayed up extra late .

Excellent! They are good aren't they. I just wish the death registers were a bit better. There doesn't seem to be much on there at the moment, hopefully they are still transcribing them. I do however keep forgetting it's just London and sometimes think, ahh I'll just look for the marriage cert for someone and remember they're from Staffordshire...
    Hail Spode!

Comment

thats great, matchsicks are good for the odd late nights arn't they. hope you get a wealth of info .

Comment

Sorry for asking but for the uninitiated amongst me, what is LMA? :conf:
        Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

its the London metropolitan Archives now available on Ancestry
          Londond England Births and Baptisms, 1813–1906
          London England Marriages and Banns, 1754–1921
          Londond England Deaths and Burials, 1813–1980
          London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538–1812
          and brilliant

Comment

I think someone explained about the LMA burials previously - I had thought they were a bit sparse too. Unfortunately the answer seems to be that (being crowded London) the churchyards were soon full and municiple cemeteries became the normal place to be buried. These have records of their own and will not be on the PARISH records that are in the LMA archive records.

Maybe Ancestry will do the cemetery records next - presumably the LMA has plenty of them too!

Anne

Comment

Thanks for the nfo, I will have to upgrade my membership so I can see the results when funds allow.
              Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

Although I've found more of my husband's rellies than my own on LMA it has been fantastic to use this new resource. Seeing the originals you can also pick up on transcription errors.

Being able to see the witnesses on marriage certs has been invaluable, so often they turn out to be relatives of the bride or groom, and this can sometimes confirm you've found the right wedding.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It's been invaluable, but I had to think long & hard about the hoick in subs to get it, but it was worth it. I would never have found my 3x gt grandparents marriage without it as they married on the opposite side of London to where they had their children.

Comment

I'm going off you lot!!!!

Everytime I read of another success using the LMA records it makes me want to upgrade & I don't want to spend the money!!!:F
                    From 1800 on, all sides of my family are in London & I'm sure I'll find loads of stuff, grrrr.:F:Big Grin:

Scatty Jan has found a couple of my Mums sisters & a cousins baptism for me & was scratching her head over the cousin & one sister.
                    Next to one another on the same day, they had the same 2 Christian names, different parents but the same address.
                    I knew what it was immediately but I can understand how it would confuse other folk. These two families duplicated names a few times, one of them had the same names as my Mum.
                    Last edited by Vivienne; 18-10-09, 23:18.
                    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Vivienne its so worth it I have found so much stuff its made me dizzy

Comment

Indeed. I was just browsing and found the marriage cert for a 'dead end' ancestor which gave me the father (William James Turner) and a witness (Esther Turner), I'm now off to find the family.
                        Hail Spode!

Comment

there you go Guy brilliant isnt it ?

Comment

Sure is Might have just found the family too. :D
                            Hail Spode!

Comment

I am having such success I can hardly believe it

Comment

I found the baptism of George Dawson in St Mary Rotherhithe, and his burial, his sisters, his father's baptism and his therefore grandfathers name - two more generations of the Dawson tree - mast makers and sailmakers! Also sorted out the Farrow's in Hackney - in some ways I wish I had more London ancestors to research now !!

Di
                                Diane
                                Sydney Australia
                                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I'm getting marriages for my one name study. I am making progress with a spreadsheet of father's and witness names. Already I can see that I will be able to sort them into families. for example, a couple get married and a year or so later they are witnessing a sibling's marriage. I would never have picked up the girls' married names if I hadn't had the whole lot to go at.

Previously I have left London well alone - none of my own direct family are from there - but now I have all this new research PLUS some of my own family twigs who disappeared from the North down to London. :smilee::smilee:

Anne

Comment

I'm with Di on this one so glad most of mine were Londoners its so exciting, and Anne I have found the witnesses extremely helpful too as I found people I thought had died being witnesses a few years later.
                                    Wish it was cheaper though hope the subscription to Ancestry does not go up much.

Comment

I too love the new LMA records! And have personally saved a fortune - in train fares! I live near enough to London to visit the LMA occasionally but the amount of info I've found on Ancestry would have taken many trips and with fares costing £20 pounds each I'm quids in!:Big Grin:
                                      Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                                        I too love the new LMA records! And have personally saved a fortune - in train fares! I live near enough to London to visit the LMA occasionally but the amount of info I've found on Ancestry would have taken many trips and with fares costing £20 pounds each I'm quids in!:Big Grin:
                                        I agree with Sue - I used to visit the LMA twice a year - now I probably will only need to go very occasionally! I have found masses of people. On OH's side I have probably another 50 people and even on my side (not so many Londoners) I have had staggering success.
                                        Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 19-10-09, 11:49.
                                        Elizabeth
                                        Research Interests:
                                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
                                        X