Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cert - could this be a mistake?

Hi

today i recieved the 1856 death cert of Frances Shallow aged 75 living in Kings Lynn. On it, it says widow of Robert Shallow a Waterman. My Frances was married to William Shallow a waterman, who died in 1853. I have tried to find another Frances Shallow, or a Robert Shallow and cannot find any. Do you think the Robert Shallow is a mistake? I dont recognise the name of the informant and neither Frances or William died in the same road, so i cant narrow it down that way. However i know that Williams death cert is correct as he was living in the same street as in 1851
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I have just had a look too and I would say its a mistake .

Comment

thanks very much, its the first one i have had with a mistake (that i know of). although i cant complain, they must be bored there as these were printed on the day i ordered them!!
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Is it a typed or written-out certificate or one where the register info. has been photocopied? If it's been transcribed you could ask the GRO to recheck it. And even better would be to locate the cert. at the local register office and ask the registrar if it's different.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

But of course it could have been a mistake by the informant, if they didn't know the family well, or had only met Frances after her husband died they would not necessarily know her late husband's christian name.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

wow you were lucky getting it that quick then ,the shortest time I have waited was about 4 days

Comment

Hi

it is a copy of a written, not transcribed. The informant name doesnt match anyone i know but The address of Bridge Street actually matches the same street as her daughters in-law family, so perhaps that is the link but no idea!
              Robyne

Comment

Robyne,

have you found a death ref/cert for either William or Robert ? I would say that you still have the right person, but whoever registered the death possibly didnt know her husbands name.

I notice that Frances and William are on the 1851 cens and that a few doors away there is another Shallow Family.

I would look first to see if there was a death for the husband. the time frame is relatively small, from 1851-1856.

I would also say that it is highly probable that they are mistranscribed in the 1841 census.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I see that you already have Williams DOD.

I would say that it was purely an error when registering the death. I can't see them mistrans in the 1841 cens, but then again I havent looked terribly hard!
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

my gt gt grandmother's death cert has the wrong name & occupation for her husband, who'd been dead nearly 30 years by the time she died. Her death was regd by her granddaughter (aged 19), who'd never known her grandfather, so it was understandable she didn't know - I think she confused her grandfather with his brother.
                    Vicky

Comment

Is it possible he was William Robert, or Robert William?

I am sure I am not alone but it was quite common in my maternal line for the men to swap their names around, especially if there was a close relative with the same christian name.
                      For example my Grandfather was known to all as Ernest Charles, including work, tax office, insurance companies, yet on his death cert and birth cert he was Charles Ernest it caused no end of problems proving to all interested parties who had was when he died, he was even Ernest Charles on his marriage cert!
                      Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

Death certificates often contain incorrect information, usually because of mistakes/lack of knowledge of the informant.
                        The informant on my Grandmother's certificate was her younger sister, who, when asked " husband's first name", gave the name of her own husband,instead of my grandfather's. An easy enough mistake to make when, you are feeling tired and emotional.

Comment

Working...
                        X