Laptop Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Battery

For some weeks now, my laptop battery and/or mains connection has been playing up.

Prior to this I never took out the mains connection, but now I find I have to because if I left it in the battery seemed to 'bleed' to empty:conf: Next day the pc would struggle to start, until there was/is enough charge in the battery, the pc will not now start just on the mains connector.

The battery starts charging immediately and goes up to 100% but it takes an hour. IfI turn the pc off (say to go out) the battery empties itself - so I have to go through the whole procedure again.

The pc is now turning itself off randomly :madd:, which is very inconvenient to say the least!! Especially if I'm in the middle of doing a document.

I've looked at cost of a new battery and/or getting someone in to look at pc generally; batteries seem to be £45+ added to an engineer's time - makes me wonder if I'd be better off considering buying a new pc?:conf:

Could someone comment on whether they think just a new battery woud resolve this. The pc works excellently otherwise.
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

I think I follow that ;)

So to summarise:
    • the laptop works fine when connected to the mains
    • if the laptop is disconnected from the mains, the battery loses charge over a short space of time even when not in use
    • the working time of the laptop from battery is short and unpredictable..

If I have got the above correct then tbh it does sound like the battery is no longer holding a charge, and would benefit from being replaced.
    https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Thankyou for looking in and giving your advice.

The last time I bought a battery was about 3 years ago, and they seem to have shot up in price! So I didn't want to buy one unnecessarily :smilee:

Any chance you know of a good site for Medion 14.8v 4000mAh batteries?:smilee: The company (on-line) I dealt with before seems to have disappeared.
      Dorothy G

Comment

I had the same trouble with my own laptop which I only use at home so removed the battery and just use it as a plug in now, and runs ok.
        If you only get suggestion to buy a new battery then try this if you can use it without the battery.
        Mine was switching itself off when plugged into the mains before but now works fine on mains without the battery in it.

Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna - I'll try that and keep my fingers crossed:smilee:
          Dorothy G

Comment

Well, I'm sorry to say that didn't work Edna. Without the battery in the pc woudn't start at all!:madd:

So the battery is now in, but took ages to re-charge, it had lost 20% overnight sitting on the desk :roll-eyes:

When the pc did start the screen was very dark and gradually ''warmed'' up so that everything was visible. And altho I've got lot's of pics loaded as A Picture Slideshow, they now don't come up, so the screen is just black when it's idling :F

Am completely confused!!:F
            Last edited by Dubonnet lady; 18-10-09, 13:49.
            Dorothy G

Comment

Working...
            X