Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In mate? - Baines Lane

Hi All.
    I am hoping some one can answer this one for me....
    I have received a death cert today for Francis Marshall from 1837, it has very limited information on it, but shows that the informant was Ann Summers In mate Baines Lane. (Sunderland).
    Baines Lane links into some parish records I have viewed for the births of Francis' children but Summers is not a name I have any reference of before this.
    Do you think I am right in thinking that In mate suggests either a poor house or hospital of some kind? I have not been able to find any information re this on the internet searches so far.
    Any input will be gratefully received.
    Thanks.

No Baines Lane showing up on address search 1841 ...just found it no e it's Bains

There is this family on the 1841 at Vine Street Sunderland:

RG number: HO107 Piece: 321 Book/Folio: 4/32 Page: 59

Post edited - please do not copy and paste directly from other sites.
    Last edited by Caroline; 17-10-09, 09:04. Reason: Breach of Ts and Cs
    Linda x

Comment

There are 62 households for Bains Lane

This family live at Mallings Rig

RG number: HO107 Piece: 321 Book/Folio: 3/18 Page: 31

Post edited.
      Last edited by Caroline; 17-10-09, 09:10. Reason: Breach of Ts and Cs re copyright
      Linda x

Comment

Inmate was used for "resident", especially in some early census and civil event registrations.
        I have a couple of girls recorded as inmates in the occupation column on their marriage certs, and also some other people recorded as inmate on 1841 census.

These events all took place in a small village where there was no institution.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for your response's.

Linda.
          The family I have been looking at had moved to Golden Alley after the death of Francis, the families you have identified may be relatives that I haven't linked yet, so thanks.

Jay,
          Thanks for clearing up the inmate thing - I was a bit confused when I saw it on the death cert, the childrens mother was Ann Oram - I will try to find a link with Ann Summers.

Thanks again.

Bren.x

Comment

Bren,

you may be interested to know that Francis Marshall was buried at Sunderland on 26/12/1837, as recorded in the Bishops Transcripts, Diocese of Durham.
            There are other burials in the BTs specifically mentioning a deceased person's place of death as Poor House but never with any other address shown.

Merleyone

Comment

Working...
            X