Who is Mary Lean Chapman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Mary Lean Chapman?

I have been looking into my Chapman family. On all the census except the 1891 census Mary Lean Chapman is missing. Any ideas about who she could possibly be? Mother Emma was born about 1830 in Hull (father George - marriage cert). The family are living in Balham in 1891 - piece 444, folio 104, page 14. Mary Lean Chapman looks like an afterthought - she is 24 in this census, servant and daughter. She seems too young to be an illegitimate child to one of the daughters. Could she be father John's illegitimate daughter?

I can't find a Mary Lean, Mary L Chapman on freebmd.

Any suggestions welcome

I wonder i that's actually Mary Ann not Mary Lean. If so, there is this on FreeBMD

Births Sep 1864

CHAPMAN Mary Ann Caroline Lambeth 1d 324
    Last edited by Caroline; 17-10-09, 10:16.
    Hail Spode!

Comment

"Lean" (if not a family surname) might also be a mistranscription of "Leah".

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Looking at the image, I can't help but wonder whether she's actually not a daughter (even tho' it says she is) but a servant - that's certainly her occupation.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. I've been wondering if she was a relative - but haven't come across her anywhere else in the family. I wondered if the middle name might be Ann or Leah - the writing is not easy.

Thanks again

Comment

The name "Lean" Hasn't appeared in the family anywhere else that I have yet found.

Ayse

Comment

I looked really hard at the image. Most of all it looks like "dean", to me, with a lower-case starting letter!

Christine

Comment

Thank you Christine - it's just a mystery. I think this might be one insoluable problem

Comment

Working...
                X