Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name the organisation!

Hello

I have attached a photo of a group of men containing my gt grandfather (front row second from left).

Can anyone help me by identifying the organisation/club. I don't think it has any relevance to his occupation, before the First World War he worked on a trading barge, was a coal washer and a chauffeur. After the war he was a lorry driver. I am not sure if this photo was before or after the war.

The men seem to have initials on the tabbards they are wearing around their necks, I am guessing these relate to a position held within the club, as they do not relate to his initials.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Terri
    Attached Files

Perhaps a Masonic Lodge?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi Terri,

click on the link below, it looks VERY similar

R.A.O.B. G.L.E.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

And this fellow has the same triangular and square bordering.

Hail Spode!

Comment

I was going to say ROAB only know as grew up with loads of uns and cousins photos from there ;;;
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I would go with the Masons... if the pic is from Holbrook (as titled) Suffolk? They have a substantial hall in Holbrook 66 Lodges in Sufolk.
            Worth contacting the local Free Masons where ever the pic is from... they may even have the original on the wall.
            John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

One of my lot belonged to the Oddfellows - same sort of set up as the masons I think, with regalia and so on, so that's another possibility.

Comment

I cant get a clear close up. But I dont see a "square & compass" anywhere if none it aint masonic.

Comment

Masonic Regalia, Masonic Gifts and Freemason Aprons

and

masonic aprons - Google Images

Might help!!
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Masonic emblems are quite distinct. So the Buffaloes or the Oddfellows are strong possibilities.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

What we could really do with is a bigger picture to see what the detail is. :smilee:

the whole problem with using the sites paperclip is that you cannot add a decent sized picture to the forum. (which is why we suggest using external sites such as Photobucket, as this doesnt impare the size of picture you can add to the forum)
                      Julie

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

I will have a word with my daughter and try and get a larger copy of the photo put up (she uses photobucket).

Holbrook refers to the family surname.

I will have a look at the sites you have suggested; this is a part of the family we have had no contact with for some years, but as far as I know they knew of no links to the masons.

Terri

Comment

I hope that you do manage to find out Terri which 'order' the picture refers to

:smilee:

please let us know when you find out
                          Julie

Comment

Here is the larger picture

Terri

Comment

Yes I will let you know what I find out.

My husband has just looked at the picture and said it could be the Water Buffaloes. I've never heard of them - thought he was pulling my leg!! Certainly looks like a buffalo on the apron.

Another avenue to explore. Has anyone else heard of this organisation and what is their purpose?

Terri

Comment

I 'think' that the water buffaloes is actually a leg pull, (fred flintstone was a water buffalo)

But looking at the picture that you have reposted, it is abit clearer but not totally, as I cant zoon in close enough to get a good look at the gentleman on the left hand side on the end, His apron looks like it could give you the answers, especially if you can have a good look at the flap at the top there is an icon in the middle this 'might' be the compass & square.. but I am unable to get a really good look.
                                Julie

Comment

I'd say RAOB (Buffaloes) rather than Freemasons

I've found a photo on Rootschat that shows a typical apron & collar a bit more clearly - its post#7

R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes Family History Local History
                                  Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 17-10-09, 21:29.
                                  Vicky

Comment

I looked up water buffaloes and all I found was Fred Flintstone :Big Grin: Still I think he was on to something; the link you suggested in one of your previous posts looks promising so I am going to follow that up and email the Lodge the picture and see if they can help.

Many thanks again.

Comment

Vicky

Thank you for that link. I am going to pop the photo on to it and hopefully find an answer.

Terri

Comment

Royal Ancient Order of Buffalows I think is the correct term - not Water Buffalows. :smilee::smilee:

I've found someone who was the oldest member of his Oddfellows branch c1910. Never heard of them until read it in his obituary notice requesting all members to attend.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                                        X