Scott hunt developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott hunt developments

I know several people have offered advice and ideas to help me in my great Scott hunt (Scott and a previous post) so I thought I might post a development and ask for a little more advice.

As I am preparing to fly back to the UK to search records, my fellow researcher is racking his brains and checking more BMDs. He comes up with a possible AH Scott death, 1944 in Devon (where Scott lived), and reminds me that I looked into this one several months ago.

I did, but at that time we only had Scott’s date of birth as a possible 1859, which didn’t compute with the 77 year old man in Honiton, Devon. Since then we’ve got the 1911 census and his marriage certificate which puts him at being born in/around 1866, this death that we are now looking puts the person as born in 1867 (I think) – so we are getting close:

Burials at St Michaels Church Honiton
    SCOTT ARTHUR HENRY, MARLPITS HOUSE, HONITON age 77, 1944 7th November

The marriage cert is dated December 7th 1910 and he says he is 44
    The 1911 census says he is 45

Would that make his year of birth 1866 or 1877?
    And in what months would he have been born? So far April seems to be the best contender as that was the month his daughter wrote on the back of a photo.

(It has been pointed out that death dates (and others) are not always 100% accurate.)

But I am not very good at working these things out – i.e. if 44 in December 1910, then 45 in April 1911, we assume a birthday between to two dates – how do those compare with someone being 77 in November 1944.

I’ll hand over to people more experienced than me at working these things out, to ask you what you think.

And does anyone recognise Marlpits House or know anything about Honiton?
    Or, for that matter, can anyone identify the birth of this Arthur Henry Scott, died 1944 aged 77?
    Am I related to Scott of the Antarctic? The hunt is on.
    http://www.symidream.com/scott/home.html
    My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Hi James,

if you look at the light blue band that is running towards the top of your screen, we have a section that is under the 'navigation bar' if you look to your left you will see 'Date of Birth Estimator' it is a hyperlink and click on it, that might help with your problem.

hope it helps

edit: have also added it direct to this thread.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 16-10-09, 15:20.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

He would have been born in 1866.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks folks, that's a useful tool. :smilee:
        My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Comment

Originally posted by james collins View Post
          Thanks folks, that's a useful tool. :smilee:

glad it was of some use :smilee:
          Julie

Comment

James

Honiton Hospital is in Marlpits Lane but if there was a house in Honiton called Marlpits at one time its not there now and I can't find any information on it.

It could be that the Hospital was called or known as that locally in 1944 other than that no idea.

Comment

Yes, I’d been looking for a Marlpits House and assumed it was long gone, but hadn’t thought that it could have been the hospital, that makes perfect sense. I’ll have to look for electoral registers for Honiton and see if I can find the address, when in the Records offices – I assume I can do that, I've never been to a records office before!
              J

Comment

Originally posted by james collins View Post
                Yes, I’d been looking for a Marlpits House and assumed it was long gone, but hadn’t thought that it could have been the hospital, that makes perfect sense. I’ll have to look for electoral registers for Honiton and see if I can find the address, when in the Records offices – I assume I can do that, I've never been to a records office before!
                J
                I'm quite sure that if you ask the staff at the RO when you get there or even email and explain that you are coming over and visiting and if they would be so kind to see if they have any information at hand for when you visit.

you'll love it James, I have been to a few R/O's and think they are the bees knees.. feels more like 'proper' research rather than doing it all online.
                Julie

Comment

Working...
                X