How likely is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How likely is this?

My 3x great grandfather John Attewell b. 1800, came from the town of Nuneham Courtney in Oxfordshire. I have found him in the 1841 census with all his family. On that census the town of Nuneham had a grand total of 352 inhabitants. I have now found 2 more Attewell families in Nuneham in 1841 - George aged 30 (plus wife and children) and John aged 70 (plus wife and daughter). How likely would it be that John (70) is the father of both John and George?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I'd say that George was Johns brother... and that John (70) was the father.. but you would need to have a shuftie around the parish records for the confirmation.. or praps look for similarities within the families.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Unfortunately I can find no trace of Attewells in Oxfordshire in the IGI. There are a lot of the same names used between the families, which might also strengthen the theory that they are the same family. Will have to try and get to look at the PR's some time to see if that could help.

Thanks for your input.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

I usually find when I have come across this that they are related.

I tend to move them into their own little groups and print off the census images and follow them through the census if possible.

with mine, I have about 6 or 7 sons, they all become carpenters, their fathers too are carpenters.. and they all share the same names within the family too.

But looking on Familysearch/Hugh Wallis would be my first port of call and I'd do a parent search, or a batch number search..
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi, Ozgirl, I live 5 mins away from Nuneham Courtenay! Do you know if they died and were buried there? If so, I may be able to go to the church and have a look at the headstones?
          Tessie

Comment

Hi Tessie - I don't have death certs, as only just discovered this today, but looking oon censuses, they all seem to have lived in Nuneham all their lives. John Sr. born ca 1770, died about 1853, John jr, born in 1800 died in 1884. George was christened "Jubilee George", but evidently used George Jubilee in his later years. There is a mention on the web that he was at one time Parish Clerk. He was born in 1810 and he died sometime between 1861 and 1864. It would be great if you could find anything, but there is no rush or anything. Many thanks for the offer.

Linda
            Linda

Comment

I will go to the church this weekend if the weather is not too bad!
              Tessie

Comment

Thanks Tessie
                Linda

Comment

Working...
                X