Searching for parents of Matthew Norman b1805

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for parents of Matthew Norman b1805

I have spent days searching for the parents/relatives of Matthew NORMAN b abt 1805 in Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk. Died 1884 in Somerset.
    I have him on all census records during his life. He married Frances aka Fanny and she shows with him on the census records. Just one son James born abt 1842.
    One hint on Ancestry shows public trees suggesting the marriage was to Frances ARMIGER in 1835 at Sculthorpe, Norfolk but at this stage it is just a possible.
    The 1841 census shows a few other NORMANs residing in Burnham Thorpe who are very likely related (brothers/sisters) and the one hope I had of finding his mother shows an Elizabeth Norman b1771. But when I check the original it is an error and her surname is RIX... but she is living in the same house as possible relatives named NORMAN and a few doors down from Matthew NORMAN.
    If I can find his parents I feel other doors will open. I thought it was time to 'ask the audience' as you have helped crack impossible cases before for me. Any suggestions on a way forward would be most appreciated.
    John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Hi John

The way I would do it is to search through a film of the PRs for the area. This link shows the Parish Record film details which can be ordered from your nearest LDS Family History Centre.
    Title film notes ('Parish registers of Burnham-Thorpe ')

Welcome to the joys of searching through microfilms. It can be very rewarding when you find whole families. You, could of course, also go to the Norfolk Records Office to search the film as they have a copy too.

Comment

Hi John

A quick search on Freereg (FreeREG - Search UK Parish Register Indices) throws up Matthew's marriage to Frances Armiger.

Details:
      St Mary, North Creake, Norfolk after banns
      15 Aug 1841
      Matthew aged 37 batchelor, Frances aged 31 spinster
      both of the parish
      Matthew's father - Jeremiah Norman a shepherd
      Frances's father - William Armiger a labourer
      witnesses: Thomas Sandell & Mary Sandell

Freereg also has the baptism of their son James.

Details:
      baptism at All Saints, Burnham Thorpe
      born: 5 Sep 1841
      baptised 3 Oct 1841

Hope that helps.

Sorry, I should have added.. if you think these are 'yours' you should double check the entries in the parish register as Pat has already suggested.
      Last edited by Crafty Sue; 16-10-09, 16:55.
      Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Sue View Post
        Hi John

A quick search on Freereg (FreeREG - Search UK Parish Register Indices) throws up Matthew's marriage to Frances Armiger.

Details:
        St Mary, North Creake, Norfolk after banns
        15 Aug 1841
        Matthew aged 37 batchelor, Frances aged 31 spinster
        both of the parish
        Matthew's father - Jeremiah Norman a shepherd
        Frances's father - William Armiger a labourer
        witnesses: Thomas Sandell & Mary Sandell

Freereg also has the baptism of their son James.

Details:
        baptism at All Saints, Burnham Thorpe
        born: 5 Sep 1841
        baptised 3 Oct 1841

Hope that helps.

Sorry, I should have added.. if you think these are 'yours' you should double check the entries in the parish register as Pat has already suggested.
        Crafty Sue Thank you so very much! Great result... I always wanted a shepherd and looks like I have one with Matthews father. I will double check as Pat suggests. Thank you both for your time
        John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

You're welcome John. Do have a look at freereg, not all the Norfolk parishes are fully covered yet, but you might be able to track back a bit further.
          Sue

Comment

Working...
          X