Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davison Conundrum

Hi,

I have hit the proverbial brick wall in this branch of my tree.

My gran was Edith Lilley formerly Davison. Her dad was William Davison and when she was married he was living in Thorney near Peterborough.
    I know Mary was her sister and Alfred her brother. Edith was born in 1909? Apart from that there isn't an awful lot of info. Rumours are that she was adopted, but nothing confirmed. She married Cecil Charles Lilley in 1927 and lived in Warboys. I have her wedding certificate.

I know it may be a long shot, but has any of you any ideas where I can go next, that may get me through this brickwall. Recently I spent a few days around the Thorney area and discovered a few Davison graves which may or may not be connected to Edith.

Sorry for being vague, but this has me stumped.:F

Cheers,
    Dave
    Researching the names HART,LILLEY,DAVISON & FINN all from around LINCS/CAMBS. HARTS Also in AUS & CANADA

Dont give up in the search for Maddie

Two questions

What was William her father's occupation on her marriage cert?

Have you any inkling where Edith was born i.e. do you think it could be Peterborough?

Comment

Hi Dave - have you found the family in the UK 1911 census - with or without Edith?

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
        Two questions

What was William her father's occupation on her marriage cert?

Have you any inkling where Edith was born i.e. do you think it could be Peterborough?
        I have a vague connection she was born in Guilsborough , but as I say nothing that is set in concrete. His occupation was a farm labourer , as were many of my ancestors....a poor lot were we!

My aunt reckons Edith was a adopted. But .......
        Researching the names HART,LILLEY,DAVISON & FINN all from around LINCS/CAMBS. HARTS Also in AUS & CANADA

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
          Hi Dave - have you found the family in the UK 1911 census - with or without Edith?
          No I haven't , To be honest I hadn't looked:emb:

I have been in contact with her sister's grandson a while ago , but he had no Idea his mother had a sister...all a bit of a mystery.

Comment

Dave, when and where did your Gran die? This might help a lot.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
              Dave, when and where did your Gran die? This might help a lot.
              I haven't a definite date, early 80's. She was cremated at Cambridge crematorium, as was her husband Cecil Charles Lilley. Sorry for the vagueness, this side of the family has been a pain, but enthralling none the less.

Comment

If she died after 1984 you can find her birth date:

Edith Lilley - England & Wales, Death Index: 1984-2005 - Ancestry.co.uk

If you have an Ancestry subscription you can view this information. I hope this works!

I'm going out now (wedding anniversary!) so I won't be able to help any more until later. Good luck!
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hi Dave - do you happen to know whether her birthday was either the 27th of January or the 6th March possibly?
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Hart View Post
                    I have a vague connection she was born in Guilsborough , but as I say nothing that is set in concrete. His occupation was a farm labourer , as were many of my ancestors....a poor lot were we!

My aunt reckons Edith was a adopted. But .......
                    I don't think she was born in Guilsborough I think you mean Guisborough, Yorkshire because there is a birth on FreeBMD for Guisborough. I don't think thats her.

I think she was born in Old Bolingbroke, Spilsby, Lincolnshire however I can't find a birth for a Edith Davison born there in 1909 but I have found her somewhwere else I think.
                    Last edited by Guest; 16-10-09, 11:57.

Comment

I asked because I was looking at this one -

Births Mar 1909 DAVISON Edith Guisbro 9d 508

and death

Edith Lilley 6 Mar 1909 Jun 1984 75 Huntingdon Huntingdonshire

Because I know that Huntingdonshire and Cambridgeshire often go hand in hand

Comment

I don't think she was born in Guilsborough I think you mean Guisborough, Yorkshire because there is a birth on FreeBMD for Guisborough. I don't think thats her.

I think she was born in Old Bolingbroke, Spilsby, Yorkshire however I can't find a birth for a Edith Davison born there in 1909 but I have found her somewhwere else I think.
                        Wow thanks.... When she died all the house she was living in was cleared out. Not one of my reles knows by who , all the records must have been taken also, Old Bolingbroke does ring a bell ....ummmmm:smilee:

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Hart View Post
                          Wow thanks.... When she died all the house she was living in was cleared out. Not one of my reles knows by who , all the records must have been taken also, Old Bolingbroke does ring a bell ....ummmmm:smilee:
                          Sorry David I edited my post I originally put Yorkshire but I meant to put Lincolnshire, Spilsby is in Lincolnshire.

However I don't think she was born a Davison....

Comment

Sorry David I edited my post I originally put Yorkshire but I meant to put Lincolnshire, Spilsby is in Lincolnshire.

However I don't think she was born a Davison....

Perhaps my aunt was right, and she was adopted?:conf:

Comment

If you look on FreeBMD

FreeBMD - Search

And search for Edith in first name no surname born between 1908 -1909 and select Spilsby as the district

Does any of those surnames of those Ediths ring a bell?

I could of course be on the completely wrong track and she was a Davison but I couldn't find an Edith Davison born in Spilsby.

Comment

Do any of these names ring a family bell at all David? If Maggie has the right one, these are all the Ediths born in Spilsby between June 1908 and June 1910 -

Births Jun 1908
                                Humberston Edith Spilsby 7a 555
                                Smith Edith Amy Spilsby 7a 563
                                Thorold Edith Mary Spilsby 7a 561

Births Sep 1908
                                Frow Edith Millicent Spilsby 7a 563

Births Dec 1908
                                Fenwick Edith Spilsby 7a 524
                                Smalley Edith Spilsby 7a 515

Births Mar 1909
                                ARCHER Edith Irene Spilsby 7a 527
                                Ingamells Edith Annie Spilsby 7a 511
                                Markham Edith Lydia Spilsby 7a 515
                                Swain Edith Spilsby 7a 514

Births Jun 1909
                                Albans Edith Spilsby 7a 552
                                MOORE Edith Alice Spilsby 7a 543
                                ROBINSON Edith Mary Spilsby 7a 547
                                SANDERSON Edith Mary Spilsby 7a 562
                                SWAIN Edith Spilsby 7a 548
                                Whiley Edith Spilsby 7a 548

Births Sep 1909
                                Chapman Edith Ellen Spilsby 7a 527
                                Holmes Edith Spilsby 7a 538
                                INGAMELLS Edith Gwendoline Spilsby 7a 543
                                Overton Edith Olive Spilsby 7a 545
                                Wilkins Edith Olive Spilsby 7a 546

Births Dec 1909
                                BODDICE Edith Lillie Spilsby 7a 523
                                Woods Edith May Spilsby 7a 511

Births Mar 1910
                                METCALF Edith Alice Spilsby 7a 519
                                ROBERTS Edith Dora Spilsby 7a 527

Births Jun 1910 (>99%)
                                HODGKIN Edith Mary Spilsby 7a 566
                                MARKHAM Edith Lydia Spilsby 7a 558
                                SKELLETT Edith May Spilsby 7a 563
                                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 16-10-09, 12:16.

Comment

hiya..

i have found this.

Birth march quarter 1909

Edith Davison
                                  district: Guisbro
                                  Vol: 9d
                                  page; 508

do you have any idea what years her siblings were born at all?
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

LOL Maggie - why didn't I think of doing it that way :Big Grin::Big Grin:

Comment

That's the one I matched up with the possible death Julie on earlier post 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                        I asked because I was looking at this one -

Births Mar 1909 DAVISON Edith Guisbro 9d 508

and death

Edith Lilley 6 Mar 1909 Jun 1984 75 Huntingdon Huntingdonshire

Because I know that Huntingdonshire and Cambridgeshire often go hand in hand
                                        That looks very likely whats the chances of that many Edith Davisons marrying a Lilley

Comment

Working...
                                        X