Corrall family - Moseley, Birmingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrall family - Moseley, Birmingham

I'm trying to find out more about a Corrall family that were in Moseley.
    At present, I have a Joseph Corrall, born around 1871, who is buried at Witton Cemetery. He passed away in 1941. (If anyone is going to the cemetery, it would be great to have a photo of the stone, he is in a Jewish section or at least had a Jewish burial, and I have the plot details).

I also have the names of Jane and her father, Thomas. I don't know as yet if they are connected to Joseph.

The surname has shown as Currall, Currill, Corrill etc etc

I know my info is a bit vague. The Corrall's were in the tailoring business and at some stage there was a Jewish link. I've applied for a cert for
    Births Jun 1870

I'm not sure if this is Joseph as mentioned above but will know soon! ; -)

Does the name ring bells to anyone?
    Thanks

1881 census has two candidates:

Joseph J. Corrall parents: Patrick, Amelia
    born abt 1870 Birmingham, Warwickshire, Son Birmingham, Warwickshire
    Joseph Corrall parents: Lewis, Hannah
    abt 1871 Birmingham, Warwickshire, Son Birmingham, Warwicks

But you need some more information to go on, before you can decide which is the right man to follow. His death cert might be a clue, depending on who registered the death.
    Last edited by Little Nell; 16-10-09, 18:28.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi - thanks for the info. Think I might have applied for the wrong birth cert.
      I can't see a Joseph Corrall born about 1871 on FreeBMD though...I'll have a look at different spellings. I've also heard from someone who may be able to look at the stone in Witton Cemetery.
      This might not be easy, but can you by any chance see a Jane Corrall wth a father called Thomas.

Comment

Sorry can't see a Jane with a father called Thomas. Any idea when she was born?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

HI

The Joseph James one of your candidates was a cycle polisher and had a son who had the same occupation and same name in the newly available census.

The other Joseph was still single and his occupation was that of a 9ct Gold Jeweller he was still at home with his widowed mum.
          WendyP

Comment

HI

I should have asked do you have the death cert of Joseph who died in 1941 to show who was the informant?
            WendyP

Comment

Hi LittleNell and WendyP - Thanks for for the further info. I've found that Jane Corrall was
              born around 1836/37 and she may be linked to one of these Joseph's fathers, perhaps a sister. Thomas might be a red herring, perhaps she married a Thomas. I don't have a death cert for the Joseph at Witton as yet.....should recieve the birth cert for Joseph J this week.
              Thanks both for your help.
              Naomiatt

Comment

Joseph Corrall was the elder brother of my great grandfather Hyman Corrall, who also called himself Henry. Their father was Lewis Corrall, who was from Poland, born in Warsaw, (One census adds that he was a Russian subject). Lewis was a safe painter and died in 1903 of Chronic lead poisoning. His wife was Hannah, who sometimes was called Annie. Hyman's birth certificate gives her maiden name as Levi. As well as Joseph and Hyman, they had Sarah, Esther, Solomon, David, Elias, Hetty, Henry and Leah.

Comment

Hello - I've just sent you a pm.
                  Also, have you ever seen the spelling as Corrak, Korach etc?
                  Thanks.

Comment

PS - Have you ever heard that Lewis had a sister? The line of the family lived in Blenheim Road, Moseley at one time.

Comment

Hi all, have received a message re Jane Corrall with a poss brother called Joseph and have suggested they post on this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X