NSW BDM"s - quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSW BDM"s - quick question

I have always presumed (and I know - never presume anything!) that the higher a registration number is within a year - the later in the year the event happened

eg - a death registration 284/1919 is likely to have been recorded early in the year - and certainly earlier than 22167/1919

Can anyone confirm this is the case - or I guess shoot my theory down in flames

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue
    I just tried looking at births e.g
    V1840420 24A/1840 COHEN FRANCES E JOHN G MARY
    V1840846 24A/1840 COHEN ISABELLA JAMES ISABELLA
    V1850780 25A/1850 COHEN JOHN G JOHN G MARY
    V184562 30A/1845 COHEN ANNE M JOHN G MARY
    V1845495 30A/1845 COHEN WILLIAM T THOMAS ELIZABETH
    V18461125 31A/1846 COHEN JANE JAMES ISABELLA
    V1847301 32A/1847 COHEN FRANCIS F FRANCIS CATHERINE
    V18481187 33A/1848 COHEN JAMES JAMES ISABELLA
    V18461789 33A/1846 COHEN ELIZABETH SAMUEL MARY
    V1850784 35/1850 COHEN JOHN G JOHN G MARY
    The 24A onward seems to go up in order - with the other numbers, it's hard to say...could the first one have been the 420th birth for 1840?
    Hmmm....I'd be keen to know the answer as well! ; -)

Comment

Sue - yes the numbers are consecutive throughout the year for more recent everts. Earlier, around the 1850s, each district was assigned a group of numbers - cannot recall the dates, but will go and look into my notes, somewhere !! Some districts had a baby boom and ran out of numbers, so borrowed from another district - we wondered why our family went from Morpeth to Moulamein to have their babies, but it was just the numbers !!

Naomiatt -These are baptism records from pre-civil registration. The 24A etc first number refers to the volume number which refers to the church of baptism. - the first one is an 1840 baptism - volume 24A, page 420. Somewhere there is a list of which parishes/churches are in each volume.

At any centre with the ARK (NSW state records genealogical kit) you can view a microfilm of the entries, without having to pay for a certificate or transcription. (Eg state library, parramatta local studies library, lds centres)

Di
      Last edited by dicole; 16-10-09, 01:39.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi Di. Thanks for that - I had no idea the early ones were baptism records! ; -)

Comment

Civil registration began in 1856 in NSW - about the same times in the other colonies. We were very lucky that the bureaucrats decided to collect all the baptism records and keep them, then index them along with the civil birth registrations. It gives us very complete records back to the beginning of Sydney and NSW.

So the baptism records will not be as detailed as civil registrations, but at least there is a record - same goes for deaths - they are burials before 1856, and don't give much detail, but at least you know they are dead.

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia

Comment

Thanks for confirming my presumption about the newer records Di - and also the bit about districts running out of numbers when they were allocated too few under that system - I have come across the odd unusual birth district and thought it was just a mis-transcription somewhere down the line

Wonder if the numbers/years involved are published anywhere??

I was aware the very early ones were church records but not sure if I'd picked up how the references worked - I've never needed to go back that far in Australia - as I'm a Pommie import myself and all my history is over there

Cheers
            Sue

Comment

Hi Sue

Not sure if there are any notes anywhere - my cousin only found out about it when talking to someone at Newcastle Library -- probably just a few years and a couple of registration districts - I looked again at the on-line index and they seem to have corrected the districts now anyway.

If you go to one of the family history libraries to look at the microfilms of the "Early Church Records", I am sure someone will be able to help you with the numbering system.

There is a good summary of NSW BDMs here :
              NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
              X