Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of Who Do We Think You Are 15th October 2009 is .......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winner of Who Do We Think You Are 15th October 2009 is .......

Queenie

Well done i hope you manage to get some brickwalls broken down.
    Jen

Congratulations Queenie good luck with your brickwalls babe
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Good luck Queenie, I hope that you get some interesting stuff.

Comment

Ok i have redrawn this and the new winner is:

ragdollsophie

Well done i hope you get some brickwalls broken down.
        Jen

Comment

Apologies all for my lack of response. Sadly I have been away at my partners fathers funeral for a few days. As a Corum Foundling, he had been my original inspiration for geneological research, tho the remaining brick walls are mainly in my own (allegedly conventional!) side of the family. Still not really back "with it" so glad to see the opportunity has been passed to someone else.

Good Luck x

Comment

thankyou

here are my two brick walls. i dont have a lot to go on but fingers crossed anyways. have given you all the info i have.

william and george duncan born scotland c 1806 william married anne cottier 24/7/ 1830 in braddon isle of man. i have no probs with the family from there but would like to know any details on william and george , parents , where exactly they were born if possible so i can go back further with them. also george, i have not a clue what happens to him. william and anne were listed in the workhouse in 1841[ concan house of industry} with their baby son age one. have had no trouble following their path since the marriage.

2nd brickwall is bernard mcgeary roland watson, born c 1870 in limehouse london. married elizabeth bovil in 1891 and died 17/6/1936 in stepney. again i have no info on his parents / siblings so any help there would be wonderful.

thanks again for choosing me , so exciting!

Comment

Hiya Sophie

looking at the LMA records on Ancestry I think I have found Elizabeth/Rolands marriage.

Married March 30th 1891 @ the parish church st John Limehouse? london.

Roland Watson age 21 batch /Elizabeth Ann Bovill age 18 spin

I cannot make out Rolands occupation, it looks like 'boot finisher' but I could be very wrong as the writing isnt the best to decypher!
              Rolands fathers name/occ Henry Watson-labourer.

Elizabeth has no occupation
              her father stated as Philip Bovill- stoker (I think, again writing is very difficult to read)

both bride and groom made marks. Witness names- Horace Smith and Matilda Smith (both made marks)

if you have ancestry this is the link

- Ancestry.co.uk

it has him mistrans as Roland Watton.

hope this helps :smilee:
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

there is also this tree on ancestry..

- Ancestry.co.uk
                Julie

Comment

I think I have found them in stepney, in the 1891 census.

- Ancestry.co.uk

Just a few suprises!!! like Roland born in WALES and Elizabeth in IRELAND!!!

though I really must get to bed, as it is almost midnight here.. hopefully some of the night owls, and down underers can help further :smilee:
                  Julie

Comment

In the 1881 census, Lizzie Bovill is living in Limehouse with her father Philip Bovill (labourer gas works, later gas stoker) and mother Anne E, but is listed as born in Rhondda Valley, Wales (Ref:Class: RG11; Piece: 465; Folio: 34; Page: 5) (Philip born Hilgay Norfolk, Anne born Derbyshire Unknown).

In 1891, Lizzie's brother Philip (who in 1881 was also born Rhonnda Valley) was said to be born in Treorchy Glamorganshire........

(freebmd - Lizzie born Bedwelty Jun Q 1872, Phillip Pontypridd Dec Q 1875)

Having trouble finding Roland/Bernard Watson in 1881 though.

Di
                    Last edited by dicole; 19-10-09, 05:29.
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia
                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Bernard McG Watson was registered in Stepney in Jun Q 1866 - this could be him.
                      Cant see him or his family in 1871 or 1881 though

Someone is rather confused as to birthplaces, evidently.

There were lots of William Duncans born in Scotland in 1806 - do you have a more specific birthplace ?
                      The workhouse in 1841 is in Onchan, Isle of Man.
                      Di
                      Last edited by dicole; 19-10-09, 05:36.
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia

Comment

hiya i also have elizabeth bovil as being born in wales, not ireland. i have lots of bovils in my tree. sorry dont have subscription for ancestry so cant see the tree you mentioned. but thanks for the marriage julie , now i have his father !!

Comment

no sorry di its all i have on the duncans, long shot i know!

Comment

Here are the census info for Phillip Bovil, b 1847

High St Hilgay
                            Lawrence Bovil, head, 33, ag lab, born Hilgay
                            Lydia Bovil, wife, 30, ag lab, born Hilgay
                            Edward Bovil, son, 12, ag lab, born Hilgay
                            John Bovil, son, 10, scholar, born Hilgay
                            Joseph Bovil, son, 7, scholar, born Hilgay
                            Philip Bovil, son, 5, born Hilgay
                            Ellen Bovil, dau, 2, born Hilgay

East End Hilgay
                            Lydia Bovell, widow, 40, ag lab
                            Joseph Bovell, son, 18 ag lab
                            Philip Bovel, son, 16 , blacksmith
                            Ellen Bovel, dau, 12, field worker
                            Lawrence Bovel, son, 10, ag lab
                            Anne M Bovel, dau, 8, scholar
                            Georgiana Bovel, dau, 3
                            Henrietta Bovel, dau, 9 months

Gelligaer, Glamorgan
                            Philip Bovil, boarder, 25, iron mine haulier, born London
                            in the household of David Richard David, farmer and contractor

27 Eastfield St Limehouse
                            Philip Bovil, head, 35, labourer gas works, born Hilgay Nofolk
                            Anne E Bovil, wife, 33 born Derbyshire, not known
                            Lizzie Bovil, dau, 10 born Rhondda Valley, Wales
                            Philip Bovil son, 6, born Rhondda Valley Wales
                            Mary E Bovil, dau, 4, born Rhondda Valley Wales

Now to find Bernard McG Watson !!

Di
                            Diane
                            Sydney Australia

Comment

Philip Bovill married Anne Elizabeth Oldfield Dec Q 1871 Merthyr T, Wales.

Laurence Bovell married Lydia English Smith Mar Q 1838 Downham Reg District.

Cant see anyone likely to be Bernard in the 1871 census, maybe his part of Stepney is missing (either from Ancestry or did not survive at all). The best one I can come up with is
                              a Bernard Nelson, "Boot clicker", born in Stepney. but not living at home in 1881. As he is living with someone other than his family, its possible the head of the household got his name wrong.
                              I think the only way backwards for him is to get his birth certificate which will give his parents names.

Di
                              Last edited by dicole; 19-10-09, 09:46.
                              Diane
                              Sydney Australia

Comment

On Freereg, there are earlier (1700's) events for Bovill/Bovell at Hilgay. As there is both a Philip and a Lawrence, these may well be forebears of your family.
                                I'm not sure if the Norfolk Record office have the Hilgay PR you need (Bp's up to 1851). It looks like the LDS have filmed the registers, so you could, perhaps, order the film through your local branch.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thanks janet i,m pretty ok with the bovils they are well documented thank goodness! i think roland/bernard/mcgeary watson is a problem because of all his names!! i,m thinkin maybe his mum was a mcgeary as its an unusual christian name i think??

Comment

I tried for a Watson/McGeary marriage - Kate McGeary married Arthur Watson, Woolwich Dec Q 1878 was the only one I could find on freebmd. Maybe they married late but then he should have been registered under McGeary. I would send for the birth certificate from 1866, with the provisio the middle name is McGeary - that will give you his parents names and we can try to find them.

McGeary could also have been his grandmothers name, which has happened several times in my family.

Di
                                    Diane
                                    Sydney Australia

Comment

thanks diane, can i ask how i would do what you suggest? where would i get a certificate from and ask for certain names? i have sent off before but only for a specific name and page number etc. there was not an option to ask them to look out for certain info as in middle names etc.
                                      regards
                                      barbara

Comment

Originally posted by ragdollsophie View Post
                                        thanks diane, can i ask how i would do what you suggest? where would i get a certificate from and ask for certain names? i have sent off before but only for a specific name and page number etc. there was not an option to ask them to look out for certain info as in middle names etc.
                                        regards
                                        barbara
                                        If you order online go down to the bottom of the page where you have put the reference details and you'll see a button 'reference check' click that and you get another page where you can put in what you want checking.
                                        Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X