Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many with Ancestry also use FMP and for what??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many with Ancestry also use FMP and for what??

I have a subscription to Ancestry which seems to be adequate for my purposes except of course the 1911 census which I buy credits for .
    With the offer of 20% off on FMP is it really worth going for to run alongside ????
    Would love some opinions thanks

I'm not sure whether or not it's worthwhile, but I have succumbed to the temptation for some time.

FMP
    Censuses: 1911; different transcriptions (so different errors); different search options
    Migration: outgoing passenger lists from England (instead of incoming)
    BMD: FHS Online resources; Civil service evidence of age 1752-1948; Divorces and matrimonial causes 1858-1903

Different UK/Commonwealth (or Empire) records; different career records.

In some cases the records are complementary to Ancestry - but Ancestry has a far wider spread if you have a world sub, of course.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 15-10-09, 19:25.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I use both I like the passenger lists on FMP and military as I have a lot of rellies that moved around and emigrated. I took advantage of the reduced rate for 1911 for already having a membership.
      Linda x

Comment

I use both Val.

Initially I tend to use Ancestry for BMD and census info, but if I can´t find something on Ancestry then I´ll look on FMP. Address searches on FMP census are very useful.

The emigration lists on FMP complement those on Ancestry.

Parish registers - I use the LMA records on Ancestry but also the Parish Record Collection on FMP which has a lot to offer, including the Docklands Ancestor databases which are very useful to me.

If I could only have one subscription then I would find it difficult to choose between the two. They both offer different things that I need! :smilee:
        Elaine

Comment

I have and use both.

Ancestry for census and BMDs and lots of other stuff especially the LMA stuff but FMP have electoral registers, passenger lsts and you can search by street and also now the 1911.

However, if I can't find a census or someone on Ancestry I can bet you I find them on FMP although I find the quality of images not as good on FMP the transcriptions are better.

Its really all about money to be honest I think you get as much as you can afford and if you can only afford one you really do need to work out which.

If I could only afford one I would choose Ancestry.

Comment

thanks very much for your replies I do have access to everything on Ancestry at the moment but am thinking it will be a lot more expensive when it needs renewing, as I took out the Australian one when it was massively discounted.
            I have never found anybody on the passenger lists on FMP dont know why ??? maybe I am not doing the searches properly ???
            Looks like maybe I will need to have both then I really dont want to miss the chance of getting 20% off if I dont apply by the end of this month.
            Thanks again

Comment

Hi Val,

I use both.
              The census on FMP is good when Ancestry hasn't worked. Its transcriptions are better & their use of variable surnames is good. I found quite a munber of people first time that I couldn't find using all the tricks on Ancestry. However searching one census at a time is frustrating & so is not giving the place of birth on the "hits" list....makes it difficult to trawl through likely candidates.

I like the military & immigration stuff though....& of course the 1911 is magic!!
              ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Louise dont talk about the 1911 census to me LOL I have spent much too money on them but when I think of what it would have cost to get certs its nothing, and so satsifying too.
                Only thing is I must have gained over a stone as I have got even more addicted.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  Louise dont talk about the 1911 census to me LOL I have spent much too money on them but when I think of what it would have cost to get certs its nothing, and so satsifying too.
                  Only thing is I must have gained over a stone as I have got even more addicted.
                  What are you doing? Eating the print-outs?

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

:Big Grin:

Stop eating the print outs.

Comment

no I am sitting here almost all day now.

Comment

I've got the same dilema Val & I put on 2 stone when I stopped work & spent all day on here. I lost a stone without trying last year but am in danger of putting it all back on again now.
                        So should I really upgrade my Ancestry sub & take out one for FMP????:Big Grin::Big Grin:
                        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

maybe we should not buy any but go for long walks instead ?????????????

Comment

I think the answer is have a schedule. Time on the computer and time away from it.

And stick to it.

Comment

Are you telling us Maggie that when you are on a roll with your research you can just get up from the computer & go & do some housework etc.?

I'm afraid I've been known to hit a breakthrough just as I was thinking of closing down for the night & still been sitting there at 3 in the morning!:Big Grin:
                              Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

No.

But you don't hit a breakthrough every day.

:tong:

Comment

well since the LMA stuff on Ancestry I have hit so many breakthroughs its getting harder and harder to switch off but I will try

Comment

Me too but I've stalled again...

Still loads of brick walls outside of London.

Comment

I am lucky in a way most of my brickwalls are in London and its marvellous for me .

Comment

I was lucky enough to get Ancestry half price in the summer for worldwide and also have FMP since last December at a reduced rate and now taken advantage of 20% off to include the 1911 Census, where I am having a field day! Have just corrected 4 transcription errors for FMP and can also correct another 10 when I get around to it!! Some are silly mistakes, but one is a real botch up, with two persons instead of 3 being transcribed and the second person being a merge of two people, a female wife callled Anna being described as a male stepson!

The Ancestry LMA records have turned up a few surprises in second marriage I did not know about and a first marriage of my Grandmother I, nor anyone else, ever knew about, and to get this info without having to buy the certs yourself was great! Saved £21 on certs so far!! Finding my grandmother's first marriage was a real bonus, but would have been missed if I had not known who the witnesses were. They were her married sister and brother inlaw so it pays to go sideways on siblings and their marriages.

Is it worth having both Ancestry and FMP? As far as I am concerned yes it is at the present, with so much more info to obtain but I do have London ancestors. Maybe when I have exhausted London ancestors on LMA then I may think twice about Ancesttry and stick with FMP, but I have until next June to make that decision.

On the whole I would say I prefer FMP for census and I like the overseas records for army BMD on FMP as well as the outgoing passenger records. Some of the wills records for Northants and Rutland are quite good but to be honest much of this is online for free anyway. Ancestry incoming passenger records are no good for me as all mine left the UK not came into the UK. Ancestry Irish Records and parish records are a waste of space. Free Reg is getting better all the time for parish records. I have many Irish going to the states and other countries so the only Ancestry worth having in my books is the worldwide one where you can get all the other American census as well.

Janet
                                        Last edited by Janet; 17-10-09, 10:28.

Comment

Working...
                                        X