death registration district

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• death registration district

i need help with a death reg, but need to know if it is the right one first.

harriett crew was born in 1805 to robert and ann crew in hawkesbury, gloucestershire. she married thomas poole in hawkesbury in 1827. they had 3 sons. thomas died in 1833, (unconfirmed) and she remarried in hawkesbury to william ford in 1842. he died in 1850.

harriett in hawkesbury in the census:

1841- ho107, piece 358, book 7
    harriett poole age 35

1851- ho107, piece 1956, folio426, page 17
    harriett ford, age 40

1861- rg 9, piece 1745, folio 25, page 7
    harriett fords, age 54

1871- rg 10, piece 2580, folio 31, page 8
    harriett ford, age 64

and the death reference:

mar 1879- chipping norton
    harriett ford- age 71
    vol- 6a, page 143

1) if this is my harriett, she may have died before her 72nd birthday, so that is possible.

2) next problem. chipping norton in 1879 was not covered by the registration district 6a. chipping sodbury came under 6a, which means hawkesbury. the index itself gave this information when i clicked on the registration district.
    i checked out the image to be sure. the image says chipping s is the district, but it is a typed page. so where did they get chipping norton from? ive submitted a correction, based on the image of the entry. if i ordered this cert from the gro, and said chipping sodbury, would they issue it?

thank you for any thoughts, or suggestions.

if/when you order from the GRO you only need to add 6a and the page number, they will know from their indexes which area it is.

does that make sense?

edit..

ah I see what you mean now..

I would think that the images are more likely to be followed than a transcription, dont you?
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 15-10-09, 17:02.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

If you look at the entry on FreeBMD, it is in italics which means there might be an error with something. If you click on the italics, you get this message:
      The volume 6a is not valid for district Chipping Norton in the year 1879 and therefore there may be an error in the GRO index or in the transcription. Please see here for information about volumes associated with particular districts. The expected volume is 3a.
      Had a look myself, and it's definitely S, and two Ts for her name - not one like they've written.

The GRO will take note only of their index, which is what is on the image.
      Tracy

Comment

ok. looks like i'll order her second marriage and this death when i get some time.
        thank you for helping out ladies.

Comment

Working...
        X