Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charts not showing people visible in ped view?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charts not showing people visible in ped view?

Hello; thanks for looking.

I don't often use FTM - I have just thrown a few names and dates on with no sources and *one day* will get round to adding details.

Today I wanted a chart of a few twigs of OH's tree to print and send to a possible contact.

In pedigree view I can see the people in the right places but when I try to do charts there are some (direct) ancestors or descendants missing.

I seem to recall I had a similar problem with my own tree a couple of years ago and Elaine helped me but was puzzled by the problem.

Any ideas, please? Am I missing something really obvious or is it a quirk I need to sort out?

(I ended up writing out the possible shared rellies anyway so this is not urgent).

Thanks again if you made it throught the waffle!

Jen xx
    "I try to take one day at a time but sometimes lots of days attack me at once"

;)

First question before I think about an answer - which version of FTM are you using?
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

Thanks

Jen xx

;)

Comment

I'm looking at 2006 on my computer but probably not much difference between the two.
        Bit by bit so I know what you are trying to do!

You said:
        Originally posted by Jen Red Purple View Post
        In pedigree view I can see the people in the right places but when I try to do charts there are some (direct) ancestors or descendants missing.
        Can you tell me which Tree Chart style you are looking at. You said Pedigree view - which is a basic direct ancestor tree, for example starting with you, then showing your parents, your grandparents, your ggrandparents, etc. You said some descendants are missing - this sort of tree would not include descendants so not quite sure what you mean.
        If direct ancestors are missing then I would think the relationship between the direct ancestor and their children are incorrect.

It's really difficult to advise when you cannot see it in front of view. :F
        Elaine

Comment

Right - I have tried to pick the oldest generation bloke & do a chart of his descendants and some don't show. So I tried someone a few gens down and her ancestors weren't all showing either. But in the pedigree I view I clearly see

Camilla, her parents AO & MB, AO's parents JO & MF, MB's parents WB & MY. (Also MY's parents JY and SR).

If I then click Ancestor tree - standard all I get is

Camilla - MB - MY - JY and SR

Does that make sense? Otherwise I could try screen grabs if you would kindly tell me how to do them?

Jen xx

;)

Comment

Difficult to visualise.

I'll send you a pm.
            Elaine

Comment

Got grabs - I googled! :smilee:

Jen xx

;)

Comment

I can see what you mean - try this.

With the family view in front of view, put your cursor on Alfred Leon Jean O'Mara. Then go to Tools / Relationship Calculator - and select Camilla Gertrude Jane O'Meare as the second person.

What is the relationship between the two?

(As I said I am using 2006 so instructions might be slightly different)
                Elaine

Comment

Husband of the mother of Camilla.

:conf:

But she shows up as his child at the bottom of the screen!

Jen xx

;)

Comment

So the relationship between the two is not right - she should show on the relationship calculator as daughter.

Before you start 'playing' with the file I would recommend you do a back up ... just in case!

You will need to detach Camilla from the parents.
                    Keeping Alfred and Mary at the top of the family view, just put your cursor on Camilla's name - select People/Fix relationship and detach child. You will then detach Camille and all her descendants from that set of parents.

Keep on the family view screen with Alfred and Mary showing as the parents (at this point there will be no children listed)

Then click on People again - Fix relationship and attach Child. You will then get a list of index of individuals - find Camille and attach her.
                    This should attach her as the child of Mary AND Alfred.

Then try your ancestor tree again.
                    Elaine

Comment

OK, done that - now the chart shows Alfred Leon JO & Matilda Fitzpatrick but Alfred's father John is still a no-show.

I guess that means I would have to detach and attach loads of people - the whole file could be corrupt?

Jen xx

;)

Comment

Somehow you seem to have got the children entered with only the mother as the direct ancestor - so yes you would have to do the same where the relationships are not showing up properly.
                        Elaine

Comment

Hang on ... back in a mo!
                          Elaine

Comment

Put cursor on Alfred Leon Jean - select PEOPLE / OTHER PARENTS

Next to Relationship with father - you should have Natural selected - but untick box which says Exclude this relationship from trees

If you try the ancestor tree again it then seems to show both parents - although I would still check the Relationship calculator between father and son to see if it is correct - if it isn't then the detach child / attach child is the best method to put things right.
                            Elaine

Comment

It must be some kind of glitch though because in the family view of Alfred BOTH his parents are shown at the bottom, not just the mother?

And I might have done the odd one wrong (although I am a bit obsessive so not many, if any!) in my tree but to do the same in OH's seems unlikely.

I think my charting function may have a gremlin!

Anyway, I know how to manually fix each person now so thanks very much for your help, Elaine.

:smilee:

PS - Tried the People/ Other parents but Other parents is pale grey (unavailable).
                              Last edited by Jen Red Purple; 15-10-09, 15:09. Reason: responding to crossover post

Jen xx

;)

Comment

I've looked at your file and cannot see any obvious cause of the problem. Are you entering the data into FTM direct or importing it from another program?
                                Elaine

Comment

Directly into FTM.

Jen xx

;)

Comment

Umm .. no idea then! Sorry. :smilee:
                                    Elaine

Comment

:Big Grin:

Thanks for trying - trust me to have the uber-awkward problem!

I might make some copies tomorrow and see if the relationships are ok in those files.

x

Jen xx

;)

Comment

Working...
                                      X