firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firefox

I am told by ancestry that I need to download their new viewer.
    I cannot do it. I know I am an idiot with computers, but I am sure this is not me!!
    I chickened out and went back to using the old viewer but have now found I cannot use the 'save' option at all. I have e-mailed them, but I think they are ignoring me.
    Can anyone help please?
    Last edited by nappycat; 15-10-09, 13:55. Reason: missed off
    Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Don't understand why you are having problems. I use Firefox and the old viewer most of the time. I can save images using either viewer. I just right click and "save image as"
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Ditto to what Wendy has said!

When you are viewing the image, check the options settings on the green bar just above the image. Do you have it set to Use the Advance Viewer - if so change it to Use compressed images, and see if that makes a difference.
      Elaine

Comment

Thank you both, I have checked and I am using 'compressed images'.
        Even when I already have a person saved it no longer comes up with the message 'this is attached to ........ in your tree. I have only had this problem since I tried to install the enhanced viewer.
        Also I do not have the little 'hand' option to move the page about.
        Rita

Comment

I rang ancestry yesterday afternoon, and after about i/2hour of trying to install new viewer we failed. I complained about not being able to do on ancestry the things I could before. ie the hand wasn't there to move the page up and down, I couldn't attache anyone to my tree etc.
          This morning I went on, and it is all back to how it was. Obviously worth complaining.
          Rita

Comment

this link (from the Family Tree Maker site) will remove any incorrectly installed components and talk you through the reinstallation - this one is for Vista but there is also an XP doc - they are both slightly different so please ensure you use the correct one. TIP print the instructions before you start.

I also have the same issue with Firefox but as yet have not got round to trying the instructions - got as far as dowloading!!

Removing the Enhanced Image Viewer from Microsoft Vista

Hope this is of use to someone.

Carol

Comment

There is a known problem with the latest version of Firefox and the Ancestry viewer, I'm use IE to look at Ancestry and Firefox for everything else.
              Best Wishes
              Ron
              www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

I have the latest Firefox and can view images on Ancestry no problem using both viewers.
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                  I have the latest Firefox and can view images on Ancestry no problem using both viewers.
                  Ditto. Firefox 3.5.4
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I also can't use the new Ancestry viewer with Firefox. I can't remember what happened when I tried to install but believe I got a message saying it was incompatible, but I'm quite happy with the old one. I haven't tried since the most recent update 3.5.5.
                    Jenny

Comment

I'm on FF 3.5.5 and always opt for the old version of the viewer but I get what seems like a hash of old and new. No 'grab hand' and the page won't move around with me using the up,down,left,right keys - I have to use the mouse on the scroll bars.

Will try using IE which I don't usually use any more.
                      Rose

Comment

I didn't upgrade Firefox when the new version came out because it warned me that my Ancestry advanced viewer wouldn't work with it. I remember at the time that some people on here went ahead with the new Firefox and could still use the advanced viewer. It looks from this thread as though it is anintermittant problem which makes it even worse! I use Ancestry too much to be faffing around with the basic viewer. It's too slow for me, I like to whizz around the images using the little hand.

Ann
                        ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                        Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

I can't download census images from Ancestry without going through Firefox. It's a bit of a pain, but I too have contacted Ancestry who told me that IE8 is at present, incompatible. So, if I want to do downloading of census images (the 'shortened' version is fine), I have to go there.

Incidentally, don't know if it makes a difference, but I have Vista HP.

Happy days...........

Gwyn
                          Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar View Post
                            I can't download census images from Ancestry without going through Firefox. It's a bit of a pain, but I too have contacted Ancestry who told me that IE8 is at present, incompatible. So, if I want to do downloading of census images (the 'shortened' version is fine), I have to go there.

Incidentally, don't know if it makes a difference, but I have Vista HP.

Happy days...........

Gwyn
                            I use IE8 and Vista and have no problem with Ancestry. However, there is a problem with saving images if you have "Protected Mode" switched on in Internet Explorer (IE7 and IE8). The problem can be solved by switching "Protected Mode" off. See these threads for more info:

Last edited by Cloggie; 27-11-09, 21:46.
                            Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
                              It's too slow for me, I like to whizz around the images using the little hand.

Ann
                              I like to use the little hand too, but it doesn't seem to appear for me anymore, anywhere, anybrowser:F
                              Rose

Comment

Working...
                              X