Bit of advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of advice

I am keen to setup a family tree but not too sure about which way to go with it.

Should I use an online free version?
    Are there any available?
    Do they do lookups for you and are they freely available?
    How affective are the online lookups?

or

Should I get a package like Family Tree Maker and find all the information out myself - I am sure this will be more difficult but not as expensive if online services charge?

I would also like one that I can put an app onto my iphone to allow me to collate extra information and grow whilst I am out and about. Are they any available that support adding entries on the iphone and will sync both ways (internet to iphone and back) quite seemless?

Sorry if all of these questions have been asked, however I have started reading and got more confused.

Thanks

There are online family tree websites but it is always a good idea to have your tree offline on your own computer (for example with Family Tree Maker or any of several other good programs). What would happen if the web company folded taking all your online work with it?

I don't think any genealogy website actually do the work for you. Many have enthusiastic members who are willing to help you but only you really know your family and it will be MUCH more fun to do the work yourself - with discussion/help on sites such as this one to help you on your way.

Anne

Comment

You may have already seen our thread on Software/Publishing - but if not it might be worth reading

I would agree with Anne that you need to keep your tree on your own computer, rather than using one of the online tree building sites such as Ancestry, Genes Reunited or Tribal Pages. None of these online sites find the information for you, apart from Ancestry which will give you likely hints and tips - but you would still need to subscribe to Ancestry and would also need to validate each piece of data yourself.

It is difficult to recommend which software is the best - we generally all like to recommend the one we use, which in my case is Family Tree Maker.

As to compatibility with iphones - sorry I've no idea!
      Elaine

Comment

I second (third?) the advice already given by Anne and Elaine. As for iphone apps, maybe you'll find something here?: Genealogy Apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch
        Sarah

Comment

Thanks for the quick positive feedback. I will take a look Family Tree Maker app. Which is the best version 2009 or 2010?

Most of the iPhone apps need the file importing as a GEDCOM file. Does Family Tree Maker support this?

Also, is the approach best done by gathering all the information on close relatives before expanding out ancestors etc? Or fill out what you can and when you can?

Thanks

Comment

If you are just starting out with your family tree its really very important to begin with what you KNOW is correct. Maybe even your own birth, or your parents marriage? Even something so obvious might be wrong!!!

Listen to any family stories but always check them out yourself - like Chinese Whispers they may not be exactly correct!

For example, when I started looking at my father's tree I needed to get my grandfather's marriage certificate to be sure of HIS father's name. Then I got my grandfather's birth certificate to find out his mother's name. You can work backwards then from what you know to the new and exciting stuff. BUT don't cut corners because you might end up with the wrong pwople completely.

Sorry I know nothing about mobile apps!

Anne

Comment

Ok, so got Family Tree View. First impressions are that is seems a little hard to navigate, keep ending up in differnet views rather than the tree view.

Also, when entering a spouse, mother etc, shouldn't it be asking for their maiden name? Should they be created with their married names?

Let me know your thoughts.

Comment

Always use the maiden name for females, the normal convention is enter the Name at Birth at the main name. Remember to "Source" everything. It's so much easier to start out correctly than to go back and add sources later.
                Jane
                Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Can you just confirm - is the program called Family Tree VIEW - if so not one I have heard of.
                  Is it a freebie download - if so can you give a link to the site you got it from?
                  Does it support the export of a gedcom file should you wish to change programs at a later date?

I would hate you to start off with something only to find it's not really suitable for your needs!
                  Elaine

Comment

Elaine ..Spain, the one I am using is called Family Tree Maker 2009

jtaubman, when you say "Source" everything, can you clarify exactly what you mean and how I should do it? Is this another field to fill in?

Comment

To add the source in FTM 2009 (so you know where you got the info - because you WILL forget lol!) - first add the fact (eg date of birth). In the bottom right quarter of the screen you'll see 2 tabs - 'source' and 'notes'. Under 'source' click on new and that brings up a box headed 'add source citation...'

Put in the source - birth certificate, family bible or whatever. Then in the rest of the boxes you can add other information - reference numbers, exactly what the source said etc.

I wish I'd done this from the start - it took me ages to update everything once I'd realised how important it is!

FTM 2009 takes a bit of getting used to, but it's definitely worth it. Good luck! There's always someone here who'll help if you get stuck.

Comment

When ever you enter information, a source is a "document" which proves your work. So a birth certificate proves your date of birth and your parents names and occupation.

So as you enter each fact you link it to the source.
                        Jane
                        Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                        "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Working...
                        X