1851 census Takeley in Essex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1851 census Takeley in Essex

We’ve been looking at some ancestors in Takeley and surrounding areas – Essex Hertfordshire borders, and there are many of them who we can’t find in the 1851 census at all, though they are in 1841 and 1861.

Does anyone know if the 1851 for this part of Essex is definitely missing or simply not loaded onto the major search sites yet?

Better still, does anyone know where I can find access to it online; for Takeley I mean.

James
    Am I related to Scott of the Antarctic? The hunt is on.
    http://www.symidream.com/scott/home.html
    My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

There is quite a bit missing for Essex on the 1851 census.
    Do you have access to Ancestry - if so click on the 1851 UK England census search page - 1851 England Census - Ancestry.co.uk

Scroll down the page - under the search boxes - and amongst the text you will see:
    For more information about this database, click here.

Click on the words click here - which will bring up a list of known problems and missing parishes from the 1851. Is the parish name you are looking for amongst the missing pages? If it's not then perhaps they have just been mistranscribed - perhaps gives us some names and we can have a look for you.
    Elaine

Comment

Not what you asked for but did you know that a lot of Takeley parish records are available on line - Takeley Local History Society
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine!

I’m not a member of Ancestry but my research buddy is so I will pass the message on to him. (I am a member of a couple of others and we work together.) I recently found the Takeley records from the site you mentioned which is how we got started on a new line in our tree. If only all parish registers were so easy to use!

J
        My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Comment

James,
          I've transcribed the 1848, 1863 and 1874 directories for Takeley if they are of any help.
          Takeley - Inhabitants in 1848
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Great work, thank you! I will take a proper look after work.
            Many thanks.
            James

Comment

Working...
            X