X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Baptisms

:smilee:

I am stuck on finding the baptisms for this couple of people ;

James Marshall bc 1790 and Sarah Harris, bc 1788. On the only census I have for them, the 1841, they are living in Hammersmith and stated as from the county.

I realise that this may be a big ask but wondered if anyone had any hunches or help they could offer?

I haven't been able to get any further on my other London lines, but I am hoping :smilee: that this line may be better!!

treesa

1841 says Middlesex, which can mean a wide area. Also they are quite common names. I'd suggest you try finding their marriage and look in that and surrounding parishes first. Unfortunately the LMA baptisms online only start at 1813 so no use for earlier ones. {I have the same prob with London ancestors}.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have what I think to be the correct marriage, in 1812 Fulham, James Marshall to a Sarah Harris.

Comment

So I guess you need to check the Hammersmith/Fulham area parishes first.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I don't know if these are online yet. They may be on ancestry as they are putting the London ones on.

Comment

This will probably depress you, BUT there is no guarantee they were baptised when very young. I have found a number who were baptised when much older, probably due to families not being able to afford the cost at the ' normal ' time. Very often siblings were baptised in a group when parents could afford it - a sort of 'job lot '. Check for others in the family to see if they were baptised with them.

Comment

I had the same problem with my 2X Great-Grandfather he was born 26 Dec 1805 and not baptized until 04 Jun 1821.

I found the information on the IGI so it may be worth a look.

Comment

Yes that is a possibility. But I don't know who the parents were or siblings so it is difficult.

Comment

1790-1812 Fulham All Saints is on line at Ancestry. Unindexed though, as all their pre 1813 baptisms are at the moment.

Comment

Thanks Richard for that information.

I am not subscribed to ancestry, but as the records are unindexed, I suppose it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack?

Comment

"I am not subscribed to ancestry, but as the records are unindexed, I suppose it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack?"

It can be, especially in the more densly populated areas of London. Mind you I have found burials and baptisms trawling through, so it is not an easy task but not impossible either. Apparantly they do intend to index them at some point in the future.

Comment

Found the following whilst trawling through the All Saints, Fulham Baptisms found by Richard. They might help.

James Marshall born 16/8/1792 baptised 23/8/1795 son of James Bazeley & Rebecca Marshall.

Ann Marshall bap 7/3/1802 daug of Thomas & Ann Marshall

Ann Marshall bap 5/2/1792 daug of James & Martha Marshall

Richard Marshall bap 19/1/1794 son of James & Martha Marshall

Mary Marshall bap 23/7/1795 daug of James & Mary Marshall

Mary Harris bap 7/9/1807 daug of John & Elizabeth Harris.
                        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks very much Richard and Wendy for your help.

These look very interesting what you have found for me!
                          I hope they were easy to find, as I have no idea as to how many you had to look through, being unindexed.

James' birth and bapt looks promising and was also a shock, as seems he was illegitimate. (I do have other illegitimates, so not a shock in that way, I just wasn't expecting it in this case!)

The other bapts could be other family relatives..

Mary Harris could also be a relative, maybe a sister of Sarah.

But these have helped me, so thank you very much for your time, much appreciated!

treesa

Comment

Working...
                          X