Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To my very kind and nice Aussie friends across the pond. What are my chances please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To my very kind and nice Aussie friends across the pond. What are my chances please?

First of all, this is all Annettes fault ... Hurrah for Annette (oakes63) :Big Grin::Big Grin:

I've found a number of addresses on the Aussie electoral roll.

Now, what are my chances of getting photos of them please?

1) In my dreams.

2) Not a chance.

3) Maybe but probably not.

4) You never know.

5) Quite possibly.

6) Highly likely.

The addresses are all Western Australia and I think probably all around the Perth area, in the following locations:

South Fremantle, Fremantle
    Nelson, Forrest
    Collie, Forrest
    Subiaco, Perth
    Beverley, Canning
    Northam, Moore

If I have a remote chance with any of the areas then I'll put up the details of the addresses I have on the "Research Requests" forum board.

PS. I can't be absolutely sure that the addresses all still exist.

If you'd like to send me enough money to cover travel, accommodation, etc.....I'd be more than happy to try for you...............lol

Probably cheaper to fly out yourself....

*****thinks MacBev might see this******

Comment

IS anyone on the forum from Perth ? its a long long way from the eastern side of the continent whee Libby and I are.

Have you tried google or google earth ? I can get a very good picture of my house on google earth, and also found some places just by googling the address.

di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Yes, John try Google maps "Street View" and see if it's been done. The city of Perth has been not sure how far out into the countryside. My street's been done and we are a tiny town 700kms from Sydney.

Comment

John I also live on the other side of the country but do have a contact in perth who is part of another group on this site. Will pm her to see if she can help.

Comment

John my sister will be at Freemantle over the weekend as a tourist before flying back here on tuesday, so if you have an address you would like looked at pm me and I will see if she can help out.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
              If you'd like to send me enough money to cover travel, accommodation, etc.....I'd be more than happy to try for you...............lol

Probably cheaper to fly out yourself....

*****thinks MacBev might see this******
              LOL Libby, If only I had some money to spare. :Big Grin:

Originally posted by dicole View Post
              IS anyone on the forum from Perth ? its a long long way from the eastern side of the continent whee Libby and I are.

Have you tried google or google earth ? I can get a very good picture of my house on google earth, and also found some places just by googling the address.

di
              Google is a very good idea Di. I'll give that a go but I don't think it'll be as good as the real thing. :Big Grin:

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
              Yes, John try Google maps "Street View" and see if it's been done. The city of Perth has been not sure how far out into the countryside. My street's been done and we are a tiny town 700kms from Sydney.
              Will try Libby. :Big Grin:

Originally posted by Jac View Post
              John I also live on the other side of the country but do have a contact in perth who is part of another group on this site. Will pm her to see if she can help.
              Originally posted by Val and George View Post
              John my sister will be at Freemantle over the weekend as a tourist before flying back here on tuesday, so if you have an address you would like looked at pm me and I will see if she can help out.
              Hi Jac and Val and George, Thank you very much for your interest. I have to go out for a couple of hours now but as soon as I get back I will put the full details of what I have up and then maybe you can see if anything is possible. Don't worry if you can't do anything though. I'm not expecting anything so if by any remote chance I do get something it will be very nice. :Big Grin:

Comment

Here are the addresses that I would like photos of, if at all possible. If not then don't worry. :Big Grin:

1) 25 Rose Street, South Fremantle, Fremantle
                2) Wesley Manse, Greenbushes, Nelson, Forrest
                3) Wesley Manse, Donnybrook, Collie, Forrest
                4) 17 Coghlan Road, Subiaco, Perth
                5) Paragon Street, Pingelly, Beverley, Canning
                6) Wesley Manse, Kellerberrin, Northam, Moore

As I think I said before, I don't know if any of these properties still exist. I haven't had chance to check google maps yet.

Comment

Another one here on the wrong side of Oz, sorry John

Sylvia
                  Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                  Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                  Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Sorry John - last time we flew to Perth from SEQld it took us 8 hours!! Another story!;-)

Comment

No worries Sylvia and naomiatt, shame my lot weren't on the right side of OZ ... LOL :Big Grin::Big Grin:

It only takes me about 7-7.5 hours from here to Cairns or New Caledonia. 8hrs! you must have gone the scenic route naomiatt.

Comment

Originally posted by John-Nihon View Post
                        Here are the addresses that I would like photos of, if at all possible. If not then don't worry. :Big Grin:

As I think I said before, I don't know if any of these properties still exist. I haven't had chance to check google maps yet.
                        Hi John,
                        I can do the South Fremantle and Subiaco addresses over the weekend probably, but am not sure about some of the other places you mention...for instance, your no.3....are there two manses to find? Donnybrook and Collie are two different towns, as are Pingelly and Beverley. Kellerberrin and Northam. I imagine that Forrest, Canning and Moore are the names of the electoral districts.

If you can cross-check with the WA Postal Directories, which go up to 1949, (The Western Australian Post Office Directories: State Library of Western Australia) you can probably find out for sure which town is
                        wanted....there is a facility to search by name. Look for your people in the same year as the electoral roll used.

Are all the addresses manses? I might be able to do Pingelly and/or Beverley next time I visit my daughter in Brookton and northam is a nice day's run from Perth, but Greenbushes, Collie and Kellerberrin would have to wait until we took a trip in that direction unless I can find someone who lives there

Beverley

Comment

Thank you ever so much for replying Beverley. I started to look on google maps and I couldn't find a number of the places, for example Rose St didn't appear to go up to No. 25. I think a lot of places may have gone. I really need to investigate more when I get the chance. Please don't do anything yet, I wouldn't want you or anyone to go somewhere and find that an address no longer exists. All the addresses I've mentioned where there at some point between 1931 and 1954 (inc).

I'll have a look at the WA Postal Directories link as soon as I get chance, thank you for that.

Comment

Hi John
                            Rose Street only goes up to 19.
                            19 is on the left corner.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by John-Nihon View Post

Hi John
                              Jac PMd me to see if I could help with this one:F
                              I cannot find a Paragon St in Canning (which is very close to where I live) do you have a date when the street was there as there has been so much development over the last few years in that suburb.
                              Next time I'm in Freo I'll look up 25 Rose St as that street is still there & I love Freo:Big Grin:
                              All the other places are pretty spread out to the east & south of Perth maybe an a hour or so's drive away but my Mum is coming over for a visit soon so we might take a few rides out. What is the significance of "Wesley Manse" as one of the big private colleges in Perth is also called Wesley - maybe I should know but I'm only a Pom!:Big Grin:
                              I'll sat nav them for directions
                              Let me know if you get any more to check out

ps I see that others have already replied so I'll wait for further instructions
                              Last edited by Expat in Oz; 15-10-09, 02:59.
                              Expat in Oz
                              I wish I was not so confused:conf:

Comment

There is a Paragon street in Pingelly and you can do a street search for it ...there is a building along one side that looks like it may be a church. As others have said, Rose street in Fremantle seems to be cut off before you get to 25...a road restructuring perhaps?

If they are all church residences, it is possible a query to the Battye Library ( http://www.slwa.wa.gov.au/) may bring results...they have quite an extensive collection of photographs of old Western Australia
                                Last edited by Macbev; 15-10-09, 04:38.

Beverley

Comment

Hi Ken and Expat,

I've been struggling to find places on google maps too. As I thought and as Ken also appears to be suggesting, there doesn't seem to be a 25 Rose St anymore.

Here are the dates for the properties I'm interested in.

1) 25 Rose Street, South Fremantle, Fremantle (1931)
                                  2) Wesley Manse, Greenbushes, Nelson, Forrest (1936)

3) Wesley Manse, Donnybrook, Collie, Forrest (1937)
                                  4) 17 Coghlan Road, Subiaco, Perth (1943)
                                  5) Paragon Street, Pingelly, Beverley, Canning (1949)
                                  6) Wesley Manse, Kellerberrin, Northam, Moore (1954)

A lot could have happened since those dates and I wouldn't want anyone to go out specially looking if the place(s) no longer exist. It would be a wasted journey. I will try to find out more as to whether they still exist before taking any further action.

My rellie, a lady called Lillian, married John Charles Lund. He was a Methodist Minister. I don't know what the significance, if there is one, of "Wesley Manse" is at this stage.

Comment

Thanks Beverly, It is very possible that they could all be church properties, my rellie's husband being a minister and all. Thank you for that link too. It will keep me busy for a while.

Comment

Cross-posted, John. I was going to say they may have been Methodist manses provided for the local minister..named for John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist church. It is quite likely that they come under the umbrella of the Uniting Church (Methodists, Presbyterians and Congregationalists) these days, if they are still in existence.

Beverley

Comment

Now, I've come across the Uniting Churches before in my research, around the time you kindly took those more recent property pictures for me, but didn't get very far in that direction at the time. I'm going to do a little more investigating now I feel I've started to make some progress again.

Comment

Working...
                                        X