Marriage Witnesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Witnesses

Anyone know if there is any rule as to how old you must be to be a witness at a marriage? The year I am looking at is 1927.

Thanks
    Last edited by lindambase; 13-10-09, 14:08.
    Linda x

As far as I am aware the only condition was that the person had to be old enough to understand what was going on.

I know I have witnesses on certificates who were 15 and 16.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Thanks Tom.

I haven't found this person on 1911 so assume she was born after that date but she is a witness at her sisters wedding 1927 so will carry on looking!
      Linda x

Comment

There was something in Family Tree Magazine on this subject some time ago. People sent in instances of very young ages of witnesses - I can't remember the youngest, but I think there were children. I think the basic conclusion was that there does not seem to be any rule about this.

Sorry I can't be more specific - if I can remember the issue of FTM I'll get back to you!

Ros

Comment

I know my cousin was anxious that I would be 18 when I was her bridesmaid as she wanted me and the best man to be witnesses, but I don't think there was a specific age. You just had to understand what you were witnessing (which was the vows).
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've got a six and a half yr old girl witnessing her brother's marriage along with 4 adult witnesses (1854)

Comment

Working...
            X