deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deaths

I think that deaths are harder to find than marriages there are quite a few deaths that I can't find and one I have been looking for seven years to no avail and people have tried to find this person but no one has any luck. I have asked all the local cemeteries an at the local office to where he was living but no luck. has anyone else had the same problems

Margaret

YES
    seriously your right I hate deaths LOL

Comment

The only consolation is the Ancestry are apparently in the process of indexing the deaths that haven't yet been done on FreeBMD.

I've managed to find some elusive ones by finding wills first - its easier if they are in an area where the Will indexes are available (like Cheshire). I've also found a couple by finding death notices in the papers. Having said that not many of my family were rich or literate enough to have made wills or put notices up.
      Jackie

Comment

Jackie I don't think this family were rich enough to make a will also I have been to records office many times before it closed and have never found him I have just found his youngest sons baptismal record on the LMA and he is named on that and he must have less than a year after

Margaret

Comment

im so with you. ive just cracked open my peter ford's family, and his mother was a crew, well i have all her siblings on the census, but i cant find any deaths for them!

Comment

I looked for a death in the 1850s for ages - but I was lucky to eventually find his burial record in the Parish Registers. He definitely didn't make the GRO index under any sort of name!

Anne

Comment

For more modern deaths (& for men in particular) if you have Ancestry & you can sometimes trace them in the BT phone books then begin a trawl from the year in which they disppear.

Comment

Deaths aren't fully transcribed yet. Earlier ones are also tough as the age at death isn't in the index, so hard to be sure you have the right person unless its a very unusual name.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I know deaths are not fully transcribed yet but I had been to the records office many times an the death was between 1889-1891 so I thought I would have found it easy but no such luck i have tried for 7 years

Margaret

Comment

I tried for years for the death of my ggf, I was told he lived into his 90s, so I had a time frame, but could never find it through the GRO indexes, or freebmd. Eventually I found a likely burial record - so asked the local RO who found his death registration - the information was never sent on to the GRO (it was the day before Christmas, so they could be forgiven I guess)

Have you tried places far from home ? Maybe he was away on business or a holiday, visiting a sick rellie or friend and suddenly died ? I found one in the most unlikely place on the other side of the country, but I was sure it had to be him because of his unique name and the age matched. When you think about the poor people who died in recent tsunamis, avalanches and car accidents in overseas countries, are you sure you are looking in the right place ?

Could he have gone to London, or other large city for some reason ? the burial records of St Mary Rotherhithe are full of entries "A drowned man, name unknown" presumably washed down/across the river and were not known to the vicar or the locals, at least one per month - if he was one of those you will never know where he went.

And then there was the family of five who drowned in a flash flood while away on holidays down the coast - who would have thought to look there for their deaths ?

Di
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia
                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I've got one in 1859 in Scotland with the exact date and place of death from Army sources (so you'd think it correct) but its not been registered as far as I can see.

I've got a James Andrews who appears on 1901 census with wife and son - is missing from 1911 but wife says she's married (haven't found marriage so will take that with a pinch of salt) - on her death certificate in 1915 she's the widow - but can't find a death for him anywhere.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I’ve been looking for a person’s death for ages now too. Nothing sensible comes up even though there are two living relatives who saw this person alive in the early 1940’s – which gives me a time window of around 1940 to 1960, assuming he didn’t live to be older than 100, but still no news.

So, I am going to try libraries for obituaries and death notices in papers of the area at the time. There is also the Times archive on line, but you say he probably wasn’t rich enough etc. so that may be an outsider, but local papers might be another avenue.

J
                        Am I related to Scott of the Antarctic? The hunt is on.
                        http://www.symidream.com/scott/home.html
                        My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Comment

Originally posted by james collins View Post
                          I’ve been looking for a person’s death for ages now too. Nothing sensible comes up even though there are two living relatives who saw this person alive in the early 1940’s – which gives me a time window of around 1940 to 1960, assuming he didn’t live to be older than 100, but still no news.

So, I am going to try libraries for obituaries and death notices in papers of the area at the time. There is also the Times archive on line, but you say he probably wasn’t rich enough etc. so that may be an outsider, but local papers might be another avenue.

J
                          I take it you have trawled the death index images on ancestry? The transcribed names for dates after 1915 up 1983 are not yet available but hopefully they will be soon :Wink:
                          Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                            I take it you have trawled the death index images on ancestry? The transcribed names for dates after 1915 up 1983 are not yet available but hopefully they will be soon :Wink:
                            Margaret
                            I think we’ve trawled every death index imaginable! Lol. My research buddy is an Ancestry member and a bit of a whiz and hasn’t found anything yet. The same goes for me on other family history sites. The frustration of not finding anything is driving this normally sane person to leave a warm Greek island and fly over 1,000 miles to wander around churchyards Devon in November.

J
                            Am I related to Scott of the Antarctic? The hunt is on.
                            http://www.symidream.com/scott/home.html
                            My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Comment

Hi Yes I have traweled cemeteries near to where I knew he lived also phoned all the cemeteries. I do not know if when a child is baptised they always put the fathers name wether he be dead or alive but the child was born in 1889 January and was baptised in the October his fathers name is on the birth certificate and on the baptismal record same address but the lady was a widow by the 1891 census and she remarried in 1893 and her dead husbands brother and wife were witnesses at this marriage it took place in a church so he must have died

Margaret

Comment

Is it possible he was lost at sea?

Anne

Comment

Hi Anne Know he was a Farm worker

Margaret

Comment

Interesting post, I have just started to research my family

I was under the impression you can't get buried without a death certificate

Comment

This is what I thought but as I have 7 years I have been looking for one and how disgusted I was when I phoned the local office and they said because he was a farm worker he might just have dropped dead an they buried where he fell this really upset me

Margaret

Comment

That may possibly have been the case in much earlier years, Margaret, but even then I doubt it. By the dates you are talking about 'red tape' was already well and truely established.

However it was (not sure if it still is) the case that a death certificate was only the registration of the death. NOT the same thing as a doctor's certificate which certifies the cause and allow burial or cremation.

Its a very frustrating puzzle for you. Is it possible he 'ran off' and was presumed dead by his wife? She would not have had to produce a certificate to prove she was a widow.

Edit to say - have you given us his name, Margaret so we can attempt to look? Sometimes new eyes can see through things in different ways.

Anne
                                        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 15-10-09, 14:02.

Comment

Working...
                                        X